AdWords
5.8K members online now
5.8K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

Modified Broad Match Keywords

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Can anyone tell me if theres is a disadvantage in using only modified broad matched keywords?

And if ur keyword has to parts such as 'gran canaria' , which match type is better?

+gran canaria 

+gran +canaria

Any help would be appreciated!

2 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author nat123
September 2015

Re: Modified Broad Match Keywords

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hello nat123,

Welcome to the community. Working out whether only using broad match modifier keywords is a disadvantage depends on what you are trying to achieve via Google AdWords. Broad match modifier is described to be more targeted than regular broad match type and have greater reach than phrase match type for example. You have to decide whether you are looking to extend your ad presence across a wide audience or whether you want a more targeted approach with the intention of reducing costs and / or achieving a better ROI. I wouldn't say there is any harm in only using broad match modifier though as it's a good balance between the two regular match types.

Again there is no right or wrong in how you apply the broad match modifier, including +canaria means that you are going to have a slightly more relevant approach for search terms triggering your ads when including "canaria" as part of the search term. I would strongly recommend looking at the diagram below for better understanding -

It is also worthwhile reading the following link -

http://support.google.com/adwords/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=175280

Kind regards,

ScottyD, AdWords Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author nat123
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hello nat123,

Welcome to the community. Working out whether only using broad match modifier keywords is a disadvantage depends on what you are trying to achieve via Google AdWords. Broad match modifier is described to be more targeted than regular broad match type and have greater reach than phrase match type for example. You have to decide whether you are looking to extend your ad presence across a wide audience or whether you want a more targeted approach with the intention of reducing costs and / or achieving a better ROI. I wouldn't say there is any harm in only using broad match modifier though as it's a good balance between the two regular match types.

Again there is no right or wrong in how you apply the broad match modifier, including +canaria means that you are going to have a slightly more relevant approach for search terms triggering your ads when including "canaria" as part of the search term. I would strongly recommend looking at the diagram below for better understanding -

It is also worthwhile reading the following link -

http://support.google.com/adwords/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=175280

Kind regards,

ScottyD, AdWords Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

thank you for your help 

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Broad mod works great, just be sure to monitor your search terms as it can pipe-in some irellevant stuff.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

second question Smiley Happy

if I have 2 different keywords:
sun holiday +lanzarote

+sun +holiday +lanzarote

should I just delete sun holiday +lanzarote ? is it not going to generate the same results as +sun +holiday +lanzarote ?

Thanks in advance,

Nat

Top Contributor Alumni
# 6
Top Contributor Alumni

Those are very different keywords.  Look again at the picture ScottyD provided.  Try keeping them both for awhile and keep a close eye on the underlying search terms for each.  Let us know what you find.

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 7
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

I'm wondering about broad match or exact match keywords. I provide digital conversion services. I found that some people came to my site through searches for hardware that could do the job. Now I don't know whether they were convinced by my offer or whether they went away looking for hardware. I should look perhaps at the bounce rate for these hardware related terms and then decide whether I should exclude them by exact match or negative keywords. What do you think?

Top Contributor
# 8
Top Contributor

Hi markjl,

Have you implemeted AdWords conversion tracking or Google Analytics? Either method can help you answer your questions. AdWords conversoin tracking will tell you if the click resulted in a purchase (or accepted your offer). Analytics can tell you how many of the hits bounced (went away looking for hardware).

Yes, bounce rate will help, but without conversion tracking you might end up removing a high converting keyword that also has a high bounce rate.

Best of Luck!

Pete

petebardo -- Deadhead doing AdWords

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thank you , I'll leave them both up and see how they perform.

I have another 2 questions:

1) should I delete keywords with low CTR and refine my list or should I just leave them there?

2) with my current list of keywords, as I change their match type from 'phrase' to 'broad' the quality score is immediately jumping from 3 to 7 and 6 to 10, is there a reason for this?

Thanks

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 10
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi, all,

I'm trying out my spiffy, new gift card coupon to see what adwords does. I have read all the stuff about the broad match and other keyword stuff, but I still cannot get my head around an answer to my question:

I want to use "picture" as a keyword, but I also want to pick up searches for "graphic", "image" or any other synonym for "picture". Should I use +picture as the keyword, or should I do something with all the synonyms I can think of in the hope that they will rotate, or adwords will only display one of them, and, if so, what? If +picture is the answer, how do I see what kind of search terms will activate +picture?

Thanks,
Charlotte