AdWords
6.2K members online now
6.2K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

Mobile only settings for Enhanced Campaign?

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

If only want ads to show for mobile phones, what should my bid adjustments be?

Device                                               Campaign                Bid adj.            
Computers                                         Plumber                  ???            
Tablets with full browsers                     Plumber                  ???            
Mobile devices with full browsers          Plumber                  ???

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by MosheTLV (Top Contributor)
September 2015

Re: Mobile only settings for Enhanced Campaign?

Top Contributor Alumni
# 2
Top Contributor Alumni

Hi tart g,

Currently there is no way of targeting just mobiles but maybe this can help you a bit

You are only able to put a bid multiplier on mobile so you need to set a reduced bid for your standard bids (say a third) then use the mobile bid multipliers to increase your mobile bids.

Device                                               Campaign                Bid adj.            
Computers                                         Plumber                  0
Tablets with full browsers                     Plumber                  0
Mobile devices with full browsers          Plumber                  +300%

It's not ideal but that's the only way I can see it getting close at present and doesn't do too badly at all.

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by MosheTLV (Top Contributor)
September 2015

Top Contributor Alumni
# 2
Top Contributor Alumni

Hi tart g,

Currently there is no way of targeting just mobiles but maybe this can help you a bit

You are only able to put a bid multiplier on mobile so you need to set a reduced bid for your standard bids (say a third) then use the mobile bid multipliers to increase your mobile bids.

Computers                                         Plumber                  0
Tablets with full browsers                     Plumber                  0
Mobile devices with full browsers          Plumber                  +300%

It's not ideal but that's the only way I can see it getting close at present and doesn't do too badly at all.

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Further to Adam's reply (and my own to your other message elsewhere in this Community), you might also want to consider using "Mobile preference" Ads.

When you edit an Ad you'll see now you have a small checkbox that gives you the ability to say that you'd like this Ad to be shown on mobiles.

It is important that you do NOT check ALL of your Ads in this way.  If you have 3 Ads in a Group, check just two of them and you should see that these Ads are shown only to mobile devices.  In this way you can improve the performance of mobile Ads and perhaps have desktop devices sent to a different landing page that is more useful.

Jon

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Purefuzz and Cobnut, thank you for your replies.

One question, would putting in 300% on the mobile column increase the amount I spend on daily ads?

Right now I have my daily budget set to $5.00, would setting mobile to 300% increase it?

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

Hi tart g, you have to work out what to set the "standard" bid to be if you increase mobile by +300%.  If you want the mobile bid to be £5, you'd need to set your Max CPC to £1.25.

I have a handy calculator that fills in the "third" element given another two here:  http://www.cobnut.net/bid-adjustment-calculator.php

Jon

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks Cobnut! Smiley Happy

Just an FYI for those reading this thread, I talked to Adwords customer support and they said that the best thing to do to have a mobile only campaign (as close as it can be to mobile only) is to increase the "Mobile devices with full browsers" bid adjustment as purefuzz suggested.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Jon,

The problem with this is that it is "Prefer Mobile" not Mobile Only.

So though you can prefer mobile for a particular ad it can still get shown on desktop which is a pain if you are trying to create a mobile ad that has a specific call to action like "Call Now".

At least that is what I have found unless I am mistaken?

Cheers

Top Contributor
# 8
Top Contributor

Hi Kev, you're half mistaken Smiley Happy

If you have - say - 4 Ads in a Group and you set all of them to mobile preference, then yes, all of them have the potential to show on desktops/tablets - it's effectively as though the mobile preference is ignored.

However, if you set only 3 of them to mobile preference then those three will only show on mobile devices.  

Of course this does still mean that 1 remaining Ad can show on Desktops/Tablets, which is why you're only half mistaken Smiley Happy  

Jon

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Jon,

Thanks for contributing but I think you are incorrect. When I look at the ad performance and segment by device type the Mobile (preferred) ads have impressions on desktop even though there are other, non mobile preferred ads in the adgroup.

Be good for a Google rep to confirm.

Top Contributor
# 10
Top Contributor

Hi Kev, I am actually quoting the words of the Google engineers I'm afraid - see here:

https://www.en.adwords-community.com/t5/Manage-ads/mobile-optimized-ads/td-p/124664

If you have definitive proof that this is not the case, that your data is over a period when you always had at least one "non-mobile" Ad, then I'll raise it again, it's an important point.

Jon