AdWords
2K members online now
2K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

Mobile ad causing incorrect clicks & calls

cp
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
cp
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I have a mobile ad running for my hair salon....  But I keep getting calls that are intended for another salon.... Seems searchers will google using their smart phone trying to find/call their desired salons name and since my ad is often listed first, (and usually completely covers their screen) they mindlessly click on it and it their smart phone calls my salon... Needless to say it causes problems with customers who want to call their salon and I pay for a click.... I do get some new customers from that same ad, but at least 1/2 of my clicks are intended for another salon. 

Any ideas?

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Theresa_Zook (Top Contributor Alumni)
September 2015

Re: Mobile ad causing incorrect clicks & calls

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hi CP,

You might try adding your competitor's salon name as a negative phrase or exact match. That would prevent your ad from showing when a user searches for them.

Ask yourself, first, is the ad pofitable as it is? Do you get enough business from these types of calls to make it worht while?

Best of Luck!

Pete

petebardo -- Deadhead doing AdWords

View solution in original post

Participant ✭ ☆ ☆
# 2
Participant ✭ ☆ ☆

Hey CP,

Unfortunatley, this is going to happen when running ads on keywords other than your brand. Not sure what your ad text reads, but inserting the name of your salon in the headline might help.

I would start keeping track of how many callers are converting into appointments (ask how they heard about you when they call), and at the end of the month (or however long) do some cost analysis and see if it's worth the spend on clicks even though some may be unqualified.

Thanks,

BI

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Theresa_Zook (Top Contributor Alumni)
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hi CP,

You might try adding your competitor's salon name as a negative phrase or exact match. That would prevent your ad from showing when a user searches for them.

Ask yourself, first, is the ad pofitable as it is? Do you get enough business from these types of calls to make it worht while?

Best of Luck!

Pete

petebardo -- Deadhead doing AdWords

Badged Google Partner
# 4
Badged Google Partner

I agree completely with Bluelon and Pete.

If you advertise via any medium, you have no guarantee that every person who sees that ad, interacts with that ad (calls), and no guarantee that those calls will convert (appointment). Total profits - total costs, start at the top.

You also know you "pull" some business from your competitors. What is the return lifetime value of those clients? You could lose a lot of revenue by "saving" yourself some money on clicks.

Tom

Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭

@cp

Welcome aboard!

We've seen large discrepancies between Google's call numbers and our call numbers.

What we believe is happening is that:

1) Users who click are first sent to their dial pad on the smartphone. They may not be used to that, and could just click the back button. So you are actually paying for a "click to the dial pad", where the user then has to actually hit the green call button.

2) Accidental Clicks recorded - our theory (un-proven) is that Google's javascript coding tracks accidental clicks on trackball smartphones etc. This greatly increases the discrepancy between Google's numbers and your numbers.

Also, make sure to turn off display. Mobile display shows up on mobile apps, and those clicks are completely irrelevant. We've had a campaign where we got 200 clicks on mobile apps, and got not a single phone call!

Hope this helps,

David

Badged Google Partner
# 6
Badged Google Partner

Different smartphones behave in different ways. iPhone and Android systems or devices may initiate a call, or may require you to initiate the call manually. A click is a click, so an unintended click to call click is still charged, regardless of the potential duration or value of a call.

The google system can't determine the users intent. The user may have wanted to click through to the site, and (especially if click to call only) instead clicked on the click to call link. The algorithim has no way to know what the intention of the user was in that case.

"200 clicks on mobile apps, and got not a single phone call!" Mobile apps display network placements, or search networks on mobile devices? 

"We've seen large discrepancies between Google's call numbers and our call numbers."

What kind of call extensions are you using, do you have google voice/call metrics extensions enabled?

What data do you use to determine Google's call numbers?

We talked about this for over a year in the old forum, I wish all that work and analysis was still available. Smiley Sad Needless to say, the adwords call stuff ain't as easy as it seems.

Tom

Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
"adwords call stuff ain't as easy as it seems" - I believe it's still extremely profitable, you just need good perspective.

"What kind of call extensions are you using, do you have google voice/call metrics extensions enabled?

What data do you use to determine Google's call numbers?"

We were using the regular click-to-call extensions. We may have also been forcing users to call when they click on the ad, I don't remember. I believe it was before those days when Google offered you that option.

We had a specific call tracking number appropriated to those campaigns, we weren't using Google's call tracking. (This is mobile only, not search.)

"Mobile apps display network placements, or search networks on mobile devices? "

This is mobile display network specific clicks. The search numbers were more like 1/2 to 1/6 of the actual click-to-call numbers recorded.

Badged Google Partner
# 8
Badged Google Partner

Standard call extensions with click to call only, using a dedicated adwords phone number - Fantastic!

In this case, there aren't actually any google call numbers, only clcik to call clicks numbers. As you noted, those clicks don't always result in a completed call of any notable duration. That's where the device, and user intent come into play. (un-intentional click to call clicks aside) Even when you have a campaign set to click to call only, some devices using Wifi for example, for the internet connection may be capable of making a call, but not when viewing the internet through a wifi connection. If the campaign is a call only smartphone/mobile device targeted campaign, try disabling wifi from the advanced mobile and tablet options. It may keep the click to call clicks totals more in line with the call center dedicated line call totals.

"This is mobile display network specific clicks." I thought call extensions, of any kind, only showed for google search/search partners results, whether for desktop or mobile devices? Can you show a call extension for display ads on mobile devices? That would be awesome. Smiley Happy

Tom

Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭

"I thought call extensions, of any kind, only showed for google search/search partners results, whether for desktop or mobile devices? Can you show a call extension for display ads on mobile devices?"

Yes, you can do it on apps- but don't try. The clicks are ridiculously cheap, but the results are pretty bad Smiley Wink