AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
1.5K members online now
1.5K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

Minimum for Geo Targeting by radius?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

What is the absolute minimum for geo targeting radious? Is it 1 mi/km? I know that Google recommends to use at least 10 mile radius, but what is the absolute minimum?

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Minimum for Geo Targeting by radius?

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello,

You can input a minimum of 1 km, but it rarely works, what happens in practice is that you get zero or almost zero impressions, depending on the country . I have found a radius of 5 km to be a reasonable compromise.

For example when I have setup 5 concentric radiuses each 1 km larger ( 1 km, 2 km ... 5 km) and I have use bid adjustments by location to bid more (+30% for the 1 km radius , +20% for the 2 km radius and so on) , I got 99% of impressions from the outer ring of 5 km.

I suppose only mobile users with an activated GPS can be tracked with such a precision of 1 km.

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Well.. (Assuming that your question is about desktops), the answer would be: it depends on your Geo location.

Generally speaking the more advance the telecom infrastructure the more accurate Geo targeting.

In North America (mainly the US), accuracy is quite good, though in some regions still not perfect.

In Europe, there are countries in which radius targeting is not practical, since the smallest area to target is a region or a province.

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
The absolute minimum for geo targeting is 1 Mile. Though as suggested by other members keeping it so low will not get you lots of impressions.

It is important that you keep the same atleast 5 Mile to get decent number of impressions.

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello Harsh R,

1 km = 0.62 miles ( or 1 mile = 1.609 km ) , and since we can select also 1 km , which one would be smaller ? ( if radius targeting is allowed in that country ) Smiley Happy