AdWords
4.9K members online now
4.9K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

Migrating To New Domain

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi,

I wish to migrate a subset of a current site to a new domain, primarily for branding purposes.

Each landing page on the new domain matches one on the old domain. Therefore my plan is to simply change the display url and destination url of the old ads to the relevant new url. Effectively, it will mean whole campaigns will switch from an old domain to a new one.

Obviously, I lose the historical data for the ad, but are there any other issues I should be aware of.

I am losing valuable historical data on the old landing pages themselves.

Thanks in advance

Nick B

2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Migrating To New Domain

Badged Google Partner
# 2
Badged Google Partner
Nick,

When you do the Destination and URL edits, make sure you Capture every ad ( all but removed) even paused so that you don't run into Ad disapproval for different Display/Destination urls in ad groups.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks Eric,

Good point about Paused Ads/Adgroups. I don't have any keyword level urls. so it's a bit simpler from that point of view.

Do you have a view on moving to a brand new domain ? I expect the improved branding to help CTR and the new domain will provide a better UX (I hope), so it's a logical move. I've never had to do this from an adwords angle, so I'm pretty worried about the impact, particularly as the old domain has good quality scores.

654Re: Migrating To New Domain

[ Edited ]
Badged Google Partner
# 4
Badged Google Partner

Nick B,

Not going into an in-dept SEO discussion here, so we will keep it in the context of Adwords.

If the UX is better, it's mobile optimized, potentially even HTTTS, had good site speed and standard on-page optimization, from an adwords perspective you are fine.

I would note the Location Extension if that is applicable to look into updating the name on Google My Business if the Brand name changed?

Re: 654Re: Migrating To New Domain

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

We had a similar question a few days ago. You'll find some tips in the following discussion:

Switching domains in the same account

https://www.en.adwords-community.com/t5/Ad-Approval-Policy/Switching-domains-in-the-same-account/td-...

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Rising Star
# 6
Rising Star
Hi Nick,

While your steps for migrating to a new domain are fine you may still want to pause all of existing live ads, copy paste them ( preferably through editor), replace the Display & Destination URL for the duplicate ad copies and then complete the migration.

I am pointing this out because you said "Obviously, I lose the historical data for the ad, but are there any other issues I should be aware of." which is not true if you do the transition by the method i mentioned above.

You do not have to lose historical data and now that we can advertise for multiple domains under the same account, this should not give you any trouble in the future.

Hope this helps.

Cheers!

Shashank
Cheers,
Shashank Singh, AdWords Rising Star |
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please hit "Like" or "Accept as Solution"

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Shashank,

Thanks for your reply. If I have 2 ads for different domains on the same keyword, won't one just get disapproved for "double serving" even if one of the ads is 'Paused' ?

Cheers
Nick

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Nick,

That is correct. A paused ad is still checked by Google and thus having a different domain in a paused ad to the active ads in the same ad group will result in disapproval. You will have to remove any ads with different domains in the same ad group to avoid this.

Hope this helps

Re: 654Re: Migrating To New Domain

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Eric,

Thanks again.

Sorry if my post read otherwise, but I am talking about this from a purely adwords perspective. From all others angles I'm happy, I just want to triple check I'm not doing a bad thing as far adwords is concerned. I'm 99% certain I'm not, so I think I'll push ahead.

Cheers
Nick

Rising Star
# 10
Rising Star
Hi Nick,

Apologies for that.

Yes, two ads with different domains under the same adgroup would lead to your ads getting disapproved. A possible fix to your problem would be to replicate your existing campaigns, pause the old ones, label them as 'OLD'. Replace the Display & Destination URL for your ads with the new domain and then start running your campaigns.

This is essentially to avoid losing any data from the old campaigns. When you start running the new campaigns, you will have the old campaigns as reference to check your performance. Also, replicating and running new campaigns will also give you the ease of managing them more efficiently.

Hope this makes sense.

Cheers!

Shashank
Cheers,
Shashank Singh, AdWords Rising Star |
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please hit "Like" or "Accept as Solution"