AdWords
1.6K members online now
1.6K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

Merging "identical" campaigns that were device targeted

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

We have 3 almost identical search campaigns (same ad groups, keywords, extensions) that were only differentiated by max CPC bid and device targeting - one was for mobile, one for desktop and one for tablet.  I want to upgrade to the enhanced campaign for the desktop version and delete the other two, but when I keep reading things about "merging" campaigns I want to ensure I'm not missing a step.

If all of the ad groups, keywords and extensions that I'll want in the enhanced campaign are present in the desktop version, then are the only first steps needed:

1. upgrade desktop version to be enhanced

2. delete mobile and tablet versions (renaming so I'll remember why I deleted)

3. change bid adjustment for mobile for the new enhanced campaign

Am I missing something?  It sems like I'll be losing the history associated with the mobile and tablet targeted campaigns so I didn't know if there was another step that merged that history.

Thank you for any feedback anyone can provide!

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author M_D_Kelley
September 2015

Re: Merging "identical" campaigns that were device targeted

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi M_D_Kelley, that all looks spot on to me.  Yes, you will "lose" the history of the other Campaigns though of course you'll still be able to see it if you look in your deleted Campaigns.

You might want to think about which Campaign you actually upgrade.  Since it doesn't actually matter, it might make a tiny difference if you pick the Campaign with currently the highest CTR since historical CTR is a factor in Quality Score.  Don't sweat too much though, I suspect the effect will be very small indeed - if it exists at all.

I'm just in the process of finishing off a handy bid adjustment calculator that you may find useful!  (It may be buggy/have errors at the moment, I'm literally still writing the code).

Jon

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author M_D_Kelley
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi M_D_Kelley, that all looks spot on to me.  Yes, you will "lose" the history of the other Campaigns though of course you'll still be able to see it if you look in your deleted Campaigns.

You might want to think about which Campaign you actually upgrade.  Since it doesn't actually matter, it might make a tiny difference if you pick the Campaign with currently the highest CTR since historical CTR is a factor in Quality Score.  Don't sweat too much though, I suspect the effect will be very small indeed - if it exists at all.

I'm just in the process of finishing off a handy bid adjustment calculator that you may find useful!  (It may be buggy/have errors at the moment, I'm literally still writing the code).

Jon

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thank you Cobnut, I appreciate the fast response. The desktop campaign drives 5x the traffic of the mobile, so I'll probably stick with keeping the desktop simply because I want to keep those keyword bids where they are. We bid at the keyword level, so picking one % to decrease the campaign by for mobile is already going to cause us to lose some of the control we had, but if bids are going to have to change, we'd rather they changed on the lower volume device.

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Of course, you could always have different Campaigns still for mobile and desktop, which would give you back your mobile keyword-level bids.  It depends on much different your bids are for mobiles and what sort of traffic/ROI we're talking about.  As you know, you can "turn off" mobiles, so in that respect your Desktop Campaign will remain unaffected (though it will now include Tablets).

For the mobile side, you can't turn off desktops but, depending on your actual CPCs, you could reduce that trafffic very significantly.  I'd imagine that your Keyword level bids will be "in step" between the devices in most cases?  If so, that small traffic coming in from desktops probably would be OK in terms of performance.

As I said, it all depends on volume and prices.

Jon

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thank you Jon, I hadn't thought about that but it makes sense.

If I understand your line of thought properly, I'd make the current desktop campaign enhanced with a mobile adjustment of -100%.  Then I'd make the current mobile campaign enhanced but change the CPCs to the smallest possible denominator and then use a mobile bid increase to get the mobile bids about where we'd want them - e.g. if I wanted bids of $1, $2 and $3 on seperate keywords I'd make default bids $.20, $.40 and $.60 for desktop/tablet and have the mobile bid adjustment at +500% or something to that effect.

The problem with this, which is the same problem I have with the enhanced in general, is that the bid differences between devices do actually vary widely by keyword for us.  In a sample of just 20 (out of thousands) of keywords I had bid decreases ranging from 3.3-50.4% when comparing current desktop to mobile.

As with all improvements, I'm sure there is upside potential here too, just have to muddle through and make the best of it.

Thanks again!

Mike

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

Hi Mike, if the variation in Keyword level bids is that great between devices then it would certainly make sense to split off a mobile Campaign.  

You have thousands of Keywords in just 3 Campaigns?  How many Ad Groups do you have?  Do all these words convert?

Sorry, can't help being nosey.   My alarms always ring when someone says they have that many Keywords!

Jon