AdWords
5.8K members online now
5.8K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

May 16 AdWords Office Hours - Recap and transcript

Google Employee
# 1
Google Employee

Thanks to everyone who was able to join Hangout Office Hours! We had a great discussion with a lot of really insightful questions. Keep an eye on the +Google Ads (https://plus.google.com/+GoogleAds/) page as well as right here in the Community for announcements regarding future Office Hour sessions.

Here's a recap for anyone who was unable to join:

How do you separate campaigns into different ad groups? Why is it necessary to do so?

Creating multiple ad groups for each campaign allows you to target your ads much more effectively. For example, if you are a clothing retailer, you can create campaigns for “Men’s Clothes” & “Women’s Clothes.” Within each campaign, you can create ad groups for “Shirts,” “Socks,” “Athletic Wear.” In each ad group, you are now able to target specific keywords and create more relevant and specific ads associated with those keywords.

You can get as granular as you like. For instance, you could create a campaign for “Men’s Collared Shirts” with ad groups for “2-Button Shirts,” “3-Button Shirts,” “Rugby Shirts,” etc. The possibilities are limitless! But at the core of it all, a well-structured account, including tightly themed ad groups within campaigns, are fundamental for AdWords success. Learn more here: http://goo.gl/Op8fb

Can you give a recommendation on how to feel confident about reading conversion data since AdWords and Analytics look at it from different point of views?

Though AdWords and Analytics attribute different dates to conversions and goals (date of click in AdWords versus date when action was completed in Analytics), conversions and goals are defined the same (a user reaching a defined goal page on your site). You can feel confident viewing this data in either program, but just keep in mind the difference in the date of attribution.

Can you suggest a formula to attribute the value of Assisted Conversion to help determine whether terms are bringing in conversions not directly attributed in reports?

How much value to attribute to the source is subjective and will vary between advertisers. Many advertisers attribute a percentage to each of the converting sources based on the revenue a conversion would generate and the typical cost associated with generating a conversion.

What is Google doing or is there any plan to help connect the offline conversions with online? Our customer base likes to order on the phone for the majority due to high price point and niche product line.

We are always working on improving tracking and reporting that you can use to measure your ROI. We have introduced the next generation of Google Analytics: Universal Analytics that includes features for multi-platform tracking. With the Measurement Protocol, and additional collection methods introduced by Universal Analytics, you can collect and send incoming data from any digital device to your Analytics account, so you can track more than just websites. This means that you can send data from your internal systems such as CRM, CMS or POS systems to Google Analytics. Read more here: http://goo.gl/AkLPZ.

At more basic level, what qualifies as an assist - example would be great.

I think an example is the best way to explain it - let’s say I’m a user who searches “rolling backpacks” on Google. This search matches an advertiser’s keyword, [rolling backpacks], and I click on their ad and am taken to their website. The next day, I conduct this same search but click on an organic search result for the same advertiser. I now purchase a beautiful rolling backpack. That conversion will be attributed to “Google organic” in Analytics since that was the last traffic source before I completed the purchase. However, “Google / CPC” and the keyword [rolling backpacks] would be listed as an Assisted Conversion since it was still part of the funnel that eventually led to my purchase. Although the CPC traffic didn’t directly lead to the purchase, it was still a valuable part of the process which is why this stat can be super useful.

2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: May 16 AdWords Office Hours - Recap and transcript

Google Employee
# 2
Google Employee

Thanks Kyle! 

If anyone has any further questions about any of these topics, please feel free to ask here!

A.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I set up 2 campaigns going to 2 different websites and set up ad group#1 for one campaign and ad group#2 for the other.  One of my campaigns is not working, no hits, no impressions, no nothing for about a week now.  Is there anyway to talk with anyone from Google adwords on the phone?

Zee Community Manager
Community Manager
# 4
Zee Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Jen,

If you have any account specific questions, you can reach out to the Support team directly. The lines are available from 9:00 a.m. – 8:00 p.m. EST, Monday through Friday at 1-866-2GOOGLE (1-866-246-6453).

Thanks,

Zee
G+