AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
3.7K members online now
3.7K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

Maximize Clicks strategy: cost is greater than max CPC.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I set bid trategy as maximize clicks for my one of the campaign, the daily budget was $2 and I set max CPC as $0.30. I got one click that costed $1.68. How?Screenshot

2 Expert replyverified_user

[ Edited ]
Google Employee
# 2
Google Employee

Hi Prakriti,

Thanks for reaching out. 

There are multiple reasons why average CPC could be higher than max CPC bid limit. These reasons include: 

1. Enabling Enhanced cost-per-click (ECPC) to automatically adjusts your bids for clicks that seem more likely to lead to a sale or conversion on your website. 

2. Enabling bid adjustments for a certain location, device, and/or time of day. 

3. Using another bid strategy at the ad group and/or keyword level. Keyword level bids override ad groups, and ad groups level bids override campaigns level bids. 

Hope that helps!

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Did you switch to manual bidding?  That's going to give you the most control over your CPC.