AdWords
4.4K members online now
4.4K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

Max keywords per ad

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
Good day to you all. Smiley Happy
I was wondering what would be a good number of keywords per ad? My ad title is a keyword, I manage to ad a a keyword in description and squeeze bits and pieces of a keyword in display URL as well.

In recent boot camps I was told 5 is a number good enough and G Engage guys have suggested 20!

Any success stories?

Thanks heaps. Smiley Happy

Razz
1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by MosheTLV (Top Contributor)
September 2015

Re: Max keywords per ad

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Neither of those two numbers is good Smiley Happy.

The algorithm goes pretty much like this: any ad in that ad group can be triggered by any keyword in that ad group. So they should all share a common theme. As long as you can stay very relevant for any search term - ad combination you can use them in the same ad group. If there are search terms which may be triggered by some keywords and get paired with not-so-well matching ads, you've gone too far. And you don't have to add many keywords to become irrelevant, it suffices to use too relaxed match types.

Calin Sandici, AdWords Top Contributor | Find me on: Google+ | Twitter | LinkedIn | myBlog
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

View solution in original post

[ Edited ]
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi razzc,

Welcome to the community.

Using keywords in the ad copies will increase the relevency,which in order will increase your Quality Score.But i don't think there is any type of requirement of adding maximum keywords per ads.If your adgroup is granular/theme-based than adding only one keyword will represent the other keywords under the same adgroup.

Rather than only adding keywords in ad copies try to provide necessarry infromations & your main USPs of your business/services which attarct the visitors to click on your ads.

Edited : I am surprised how can you add 20 keywords in a single Ad copy ???

Just my thoughts.

Regards,

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by MosheTLV (Top Contributor)
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Neither of those two numbers is good Smiley Happy.

The algorithm goes pretty much like this: any ad in that ad group can be triggered by any keyword in that ad group. So they should all share a common theme. As long as you can stay very relevant for any search term - ad combination you can use them in the same ad group. If there are search terms which may be triggered by some keywords and get paired with not-so-well matching ads, you've gone too far. And you don't have to add many keywords to become irrelevant, it suffices to use too relaxed match types.

Calin Sandici, AdWords Top Contributor | Find me on: Google+ | Twitter | LinkedIn | myBlog
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 4
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

I appreciate you taking the time for us Shuva. Many thanks. Smiley Happy

I have recieved another reply of my post by Calin and they too talk about 'theme'. Would you be able shade a bit more light on this please. What exactly is a theme?

When I say adding 20 keywords, I don't mean adding them to the Ad copy. What I do is that when I use Keywords Tool for let's say Web Design. Under the 'Ad Group Ideas' tab it shows Ad Groups and relevant keywords. What I do is simply select the Ad Groups with relevant keywords and view them in Traffic Estimator and from there I ad them to the account using blue '+Add to Account' buttong. The Ad Groups that are added to my account inherit those keywords that I had selected from the Keyword Tool. That's what I meant by 'adding 20 keywords'. Smiley Happy

I am sorry I cause you any inconvenience.

Cheers and thanks again.

Razz.

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

Having a common theme is talking about the same thing.

If you do not try to put yourself in the visitor's shoes and try to figure out what  they mean when they enter a search query and only rely on the Keyword Tool chances are your ads may become irrelevant. If you add the keywords suggested in broad match, and 20 of them, you're downright doomed Smiley Happy.

Are you familiar with match types, the difference between keywords and search queries, and ad and landing page relevance as criteria for determining a keyword's quality score?

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 6
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

You are spot on Calin. 200% Smiley Happy

I was just made aware of match types and you are correct, My ads were popping up for all sorts of different queries. And now I uderstand why. Because I had been keeping things to 'Broad Match'. I am moving to exact match and see how I go. I am somewhat familiar with the 'relevancy' part of the game. Please take a look at the landing pages below and I have also attached a screen dump of the Ads in different group. I am pretty sure relevance is from ad copy to landing pages is good it's just that something is missing within the choice of keywords of as you said - 'match types'.

I know I am doing something wrong and it would be great if yourself of someoneelse can put me in right direction. Smiley Happy

Thanks again for your time Calin. I really appreciate it.

Keyword - best web design

Keyword - small business web design

Keyword - web page designAds List

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 7
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Hey Calin. Just something came to my mind if it's OK for you to help me. Smiley Happy

When you say 'putting myself in visitor's shoes' to figure out the search queries, when we type in the search query in the search window, you know how it suggests/prompts searches in a drop down styles, aren't they the search queires? Did you get around to look at the screen dump vs the landing pages link?

Thanks for your help.

Razz

Top Contributor
# 8
Top Contributor

Hello.

I clicked on your links in the post above and arrived on error pages in one case. Putting yourself in your visitors' shoes meant pulling a search term report from adwords, adding the ad ID as a segment, and then an ad report, where you have again the ID and the ad. Then combining the two reports so you can see:

• what did the visitor search for (search term)
  • what ad did he see (ad via the ad id linked in the search term report)
  • what was the landing page the visitor got to see

Then looking at all these three in succession. Search Term - Ad - Landing Page. And then again. Search Term - Ad - Landing Page. Do they all connect in a seamless succession? Does every ad relate to the search term it got triggered by and does the landing page meet the expectations expressed by yourself in the ad and by the visitor in his search terms? Or are there obvious disconnects? 

You may have to split your ads, create negative keywords, and create new keywords from your search terms, until you're able to provide a seamless and worthwile experience for every search term - ad - landing page trio. And then, on the landing page, you have to make it pretty obvious for your visitor that there's really only one course of action: clicking onto the next step. But that's already into the Landing page Optimization area, out of the scope of this community.

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 9
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Thanks for the throughness Calin. Appreciate your help. Smiley Happy

Top Contributor
# 10
Top Contributor

Don't mention it. I hope it pays off for you.