AdWords
4.5K members online now
4.5K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

Matching algortihm for broad match

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi 

A client asked if the broad match keyword 'buy flowers' would match a user search query 'buy cars'. Though the 2 are unrelated but since the query has a term which is in the keyword (i.e. buy) hence I think the keyword should be triggered for the query. 

My understanding is based on articles read online and other anecdotal evidence. 

Please let me know if AdWords actually shows ads on queries that match (or closely related to) even 1 word in the keyword phrase.

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Akshat_Mittal
September 2015

Re: Matching algortihm for broad match

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

HIya,

Theoretically, yes, your add could appear if a user searches for buy car if you broad bid on buy flowers.

In reality it won't appear.

As much as I hate broad keywords and how Google handles them, Google is still clever enough to group keywords.

Flower and car are very far away from each other and the chance for you to trigger an ad for buy car is close to null.

An other thing to consider is that buy car and most keywords related to the automotive industry are very competitive keywords and are already all bidded on by the car players, so even in Djibouti, your buy flower keyword won't meet the requirements to enter the auction for buy car and your ad won't be eligible to run for this partivcualr search term.

hope this puts your mind at ease Smiley Happy

View solution in original post

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 2
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

Hello,

No, AdWords shouldn't change your kewyords that darastically. I would suggest running your keywords for abotu a week and run a Search Term report. This will show you exactlly what every person who clicked on your ad typed.

To see the Search term report go into an ad groups. Click on the Keyword details button and und ther the Search term header click all. (FYI it takes about 3 day to get a list once you start a new keyword)   

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 3
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
Hi Jeremy. Thanks for your answer.

I cannot currently run a campaign to check this. So could you cite the source using which you have answered?

Thanks!
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Akshat_Mittal
September 2015

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

HIya,

Theoretically, yes, your add could appear if a user searches for buy car if you broad bid on buy flowers.

In reality it won't appear.

As much as I hate broad keywords and how Google handles them, Google is still clever enough to group keywords.

Flower and car are very far away from each other and the chance for you to trigger an ad for buy car is close to null.

An other thing to consider is that buy car and most keywords related to the automotive industry are very competitive keywords and are already all bidded on by the car players, so even in Djibouti, your buy flower keyword won't meet the requirements to enter the auction for buy car and your ad won't be eligible to run for this partivcualr search term.

hope this puts your mind at ease Smiley Happy

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 5
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

Here is the source from Google

https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2497828?hl=en

If you can't run the campaign try using the keyword sugestion tool. That will give you an idea what Google thinks is related to that keyword (is also a good place to get negative keywords too). 

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

As it happens, some of us have been discussing just last week that we think simple broad matches may be better than they used to be.  They're still dangerous - particularly if the "distance" between searches isn't as far as between car and flower - but they don't seem to be the nightmare they used to be.

Jon

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 7
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

This the response I got from Google.

"... Akshat, as you correctly mentioned, broad match keywords are very generic and hence, if you have added keyword buy flowers under broad match type, your ads may trigger for buy cars due to the common term buy in both these words. 

Your Quality Score helps determine where your ad shows, and broad match keywords may contribute to a low Quality Score if your keywords appear relevant for too many search terms... "

So it does match theoretically due to the common word "buy".

Top Contributor
# 8
Top Contributor

Hi Akshat, well yes, we all know that and have already said it in this thread.  What we've highlighted is that in practice you'll rarely see such a wide diversion from the theme of the Keyword, even though it's technically possible.

Jon

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits