AdWords
5.4K members online now
5.4K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

Mass Removal Of UTM Variables

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi,

I made campaigns for a local PPC system and had to use the UTM tags to be able to properly analyze data in Analytics. Now the client also wants to start using AdWords and while it was incredibly easy to import the whole thing, I'm not very eager to manually browse 1,084 ads and remove the tags (I strongly believe I have to because it uses utm_source=TheOtherSystem).

I looked in the Editor and in the Website Interface, the only thing remotely close to what I need were the mass edits in the Interface introduced ~half a year ago – but those won't allow me to delete a certain portion of all ads.

Is there any reasonable solution or am I in for some good ol' grunt work?

Thanks for reading and have a nice day,

Ondrej

2 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Ondrej
September 2015

Re: Mass Removal Of UTM Variables

Google Employee
# 5
Google Employee

Online interface provides Find and Replace tool. You can use this tool to replace all instances of "utm_source=TheOtherSystem" in destination URLs of all ads with a blank (effectively removing the text).

AdWords Editor has Find and Replace too, and also Advanced URL Changes tool. This latter understands the usual URL parameter syntax (name=value pairs separated by ampersands) and can add and remove individual parameters. It's smarter than the simple Find and Replace; e.g. if you have utm_source parameter with different values in different places, Advanced URL Changes tool can remove all such parameters together with their values, whatever they are.

View solution in original post

[ Edited ]
Participant ✭ ✭ ☆
# 2
Participant ✭ ✭ ☆

HI PPC P

Welcome to the AdWords community! :-)

I think you will find the following a suitable solution-

1. Log into your AdWords account and choose the Campaigns Tab.
  2. Select the Campaign and Ad group as required, click the Ads Tab and check the box beneath the 'new ads' button to include all ads in the action.
  3. Next, click 'Edit' (nest to the new ads button) and click 'Change Text Ads' from the drop down.
  4. This will allow you to bulk edit the URL for all of those ads and the change will apply to all of the ads after you click 'Make Changes'.

I hope this helps speed up the process for you!

Kind regards

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Hel_ipe,

thanks for the answer but that won't really help. Each campaign has many ad groups and each ad group points to a different landing page – I can't just insert one landing page URL and be done with it. Hence the second paragraph of my original entry Smiley Happy

Participant ✭ ✭ ☆
# 4
Participant ✭ ✭ ☆

HI Ondrej

I understand that, what I am saying is that you can make the edits per ad group, so you wouldn't be mass editing a variety of different URL's in different ad groups and campaigns for one URL. That wouldn't make sense at all.

If you do this for each ad group, you can edit the URL's appropriately. I know it will still take some time but it seems to me that it would be the best way forward.

Kind regards

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Ondrej
September 2015

Google Employee
# 5
Google Employee

Online interface provides Find and Replace tool. You can use this tool to replace all instances of "utm_source=TheOtherSystem" in destination URLs of all ads with a blank (effectively removing the text).

AdWords Editor has Find and Replace too, and also Advanced URL Changes tool. This latter understands the usual URL parameter syntax (name=value pairs separated by ampersands) and can add and remove individual parameters. It's smarter than the simple Find and Replace; e.g. if you have utm_source parameter with different values in different places, Advanced URL Changes tool can remove all such parameters together with their values, whatever they are.

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor
Find and replace in AdWords editor has saved me hundreds of grunts....