AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
2K members online now
2K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

Managing competitors under same MCC - How not to compete against each other?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I have two clients who compete exactly in the same field. Same location and language, basically same keywords as well, but different ads. They are both under the MCC account. Is there a way I can manage these clients, without harming each other? Meaning if I raise clicks in one account, the same keyword also becomes more expensive on the other account. What is the best practise in this case?

3 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Maris L
October 2016

[ Edited ]
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭

To avoid an ethical conflict you could put one or both of the campaigns on automated bidding, as long as that (also) served the best interests of the client. Then, essentially, Google's algorithms would be running the bids in one campaign and you, the other.  But there could be other changes which create a conflict of interests between your two clients - with you, unfortunately, in the middle making decisions which may benefit one more than the other.

This situation is definitely in the grey zone ethically but is not necessarily a black-and-white decision, imho.  In order to make an informed decision, it would be necessary to understand the vertical market, geo region, etc. If it is direct local competition, e.g. two Dentists competing within a 10-mile radius, then i agree you should terminate one contract.  However there are other situations especially with larger firms and geographies where managing two similar AdWords accounts may not, in reality, actually present any material ethical conflicts.  

There are many Agencies which specialize in particular vertical markets, so this comes up a lot.

hth

View solution in original post

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hello, Maris. Unfortunately the only thing you can do (in my opinion) is to avoid the conflict of interests (because this is what we're taking about) by terminating one of the contracts. If you don't do that you'll basically establish who shows higher for what keyword. And the worst part is when both clients ask you to beat the other one for certain keywords. You won't be able to satisfy both, no matter what you do.

Sorry for not being able to come up with something more constructive.

Calin Sandici, AdWords Top Contributor | Find me on: Google+ | Twitter | LinkedIn | myBlog
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hey Maris,

I agree with AdWiser.

Also, whether they are in the same MCC or not makes no difference.

They will be competing, regardless of who manages the account. The only real conflict is if both wish to be in #1. While many advertisers wish to be in #1, often lower positions provide a better ROI. This is quite likely true for at least one of your clients.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks for thinking along.

However, I'm still wondering if there would be some sort of great bidding strategy, to make sure these won't contradict. One aiming to be always on #2 position and the other #3 for example. Perhaps some scripts? Anyone have any great ideas? Smiley Happy

Re: Managing competitors under same MCC - How not to compete against each other?

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

the primary conflict or contradiction
is not technical nor related to how
the ad-auction works.

rather, as was indicated, the issue is mainly a conflict-of-interest.

a conflict-of-interest relates to a situation --
where a person is in a position to gain a benefit
from any action or decision that is made on behalf
of the parties involved.

unfortunately, a script or strategy cannot fundamentally change that situation.

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Maris L
October 2016

[ Edited ]
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭

To avoid an ethical conflict you could put one or both of the campaigns on automated bidding, as long as that (also) served the best interests of the client. Then, essentially, Google's algorithms would be running the bids in one campaign and you, the other.  But there could be other changes which create a conflict of interests between your two clients - with you, unfortunately, in the middle making decisions which may benefit one more than the other.

This situation is definitely in the grey zone ethically but is not necessarily a black-and-white decision, imho.  In order to make an informed decision, it would be necessary to understand the vertical market, geo region, etc. If it is direct local competition, e.g. two Dentists competing within a 10-mile radius, then i agree you should terminate one contract.  However there are other situations especially with larger firms and geographies where managing two similar AdWords accounts may not, in reality, actually present any material ethical conflicts.  

There are many Agencies which specialize in particular vertical markets, so this comes up a lot.

hth