AdWords
3.9K members online now
3.9K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

Managing Automated Rules - Help!

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi all, 

I've created two automated rules affecting all keywords in a certain account:

rule 1. Pause all keywords with zero conversions on the 15th of each month, taking "same month" as reference.

rule 2. Decrease bid in 20% for keywords with less than 30% conversion rate on the 15th of each month, taking "same month" as reference.

I want the keywords to go back to the normal bid (rule 2) and unpause (rule 1) on the 1st of the following month. Do I have to create two other rules to revert the previous ones, or the keywords will go back to the original state automatically?

One of the issues is that if I created a second rule to unpause all keywords on the 1st of each month, the system would unpause keywords that had been paused manually for other reasons, and not as a result of the rule, am I right?

As for the keywords that had their bids decreased 20% on the 15th of the month, how do I make them go to the original bid on the 1st of the following month? 

I'd appreciate if anybody could help me with this. Thanks! 

2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Managing Automated Rules - Help!

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi Alfaweb,

Without knowing, my guess is that you are looking at a monthly budget situation to set up rules such at these.  My question to you is this:  If a keyword is performing poorly and not converting for the first 15 days of April it would be paused. Why would you unpause it again in June? Have you considered leaving these under-performing keywords paused for a whole month or for good to see what the results may look like?  You could end up pausing the same keywords month after month on the 15th if you employ a pause on 15th unpause on 1st setup.

I'm also curious about your reasoning behind the second rule.  By dropping the bids, I take this as essentially you'd like these keywords to be considered less for auctions?  Maybe you could pause these too or set one rule similar to #1 where you pause all with < 30% conversion rates? This would cover both situations.

As you can see, there could be alternative ways to set up rules to accomplish your goals. Can you share more about what prompted these rules and what the goal is for the 15th date?

Thanks,

Tom

Tommy Sands, AdWords Top Contributor | Community Profile | Twitter | Philly Marketing Labs
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hi alfaweb,

In addition to what Tom said, I would first say that my belief is that no matter how many automation rules comes up, manual work is certainly better to take the right informed decisions. I agree to some extent that automated rules does help you to make life easy, but up to certain level.

Now the two rules you said above as reference looks pretty confusing. Reason being that you don't expect to behave the underperforming keywords as always. Some keywords tend to show uplift in the performance gradually after sometime. You cannot take the guarantee that if one keyword has not converted at certain conversion rate for first 15 days, it will continue to behave like that as always. No, not certainly...

I have seen myself for the accounts with keywords showing good conversion rates but lately.

You also need to understand what actual search terms have been associated with the keywords and I think without going into deeper details, it will not be worth practicing the same rules repeatedly within a single month.

You can look at couple of references as per Google to set up good rules and all:

Common ways to use automated rules

Automated rules best practices

Best of Luck!

Pankaj

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Tom,

The reason why I created the rules was to improve ROI until I can manually optimize the campaings. The website in question is a comparison shopping engine and for the advertiser a conversion is to take customers to third party stores. The advertiser is conversion oriented. I intend to keep the rules active for two or three months only.

The reason for rule 1 is that there are a number of keywords that don't generate conversions. They drive cost per conversion up. But now that I realized that there seem to be no way to unpause only the keywords that were paused as a result of the rule, and not those paused for other reasons, I realized that this rule can be a hassle and mess up the account.

As for rule 2, I thought that lowering bids for keywords with 30% conversion rate or less would make high converting keywords to trigger ads more often. I think that a 30% conversion rate for a comparison shopping site is not very good.

Thanks!

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Pankaj, I think you're right. I'd better give it a second look. And thanks for sending the helpful links!

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor
You are most welcome alfaweb Smiley Happy Keep visiting the Adwords Community and we all will be glad to provide assistance.

Pankaj