AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
4.4K members online now
4.4K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

Managed Placements with Topic Targeting

zx
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
zx
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi All!

I have a campaign running (well, not yet...) on the GDN with managed placement only targeting.  Adgroups are uploaded with keywords, and the placement for each adgroup is Topic:16:News.  Each adgroup is currently bid and payment methods are online.

Is this not a suitable account setup?  If no, are there suggested methods to target topics explicitly?

Thanks!

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Zee (Community Manager)
September 2015

Re: Managed Placements with Topic Targeting

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hello zx; Welcome to AdWords community;

Yes; this setup is OK; This is the set up I go with: keywords AND placements

My practice is that as long as you include keywords for contextual targeting you are fine. No one ( as I see it ) can beat Google on matching relevant content on web pages with keywords (known as contextual targeting)

If you carefully choose your keywords AND add placements to target the relevant site for your business, - you narrow your campaign to targeting the users that you are after... Smiley Happy

Read more on contextual targeting:

http://support.google.com/adwords/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=2404186

-Moshe

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Zee (Community Manager)
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hello zx; Welcome to AdWords community;

Yes; this setup is OK; This is the set up I go with: keywords AND placements

My practice is that as long as you include keywords for contextual targeting you are fine. No one ( as I see it ) can beat Google on matching relevant content on web pages with keywords (known as contextual targeting)

If you carefully choose your keywords AND add placements to target the relevant site for your business, - you narrow your campaign to targeting the users that you are after... Smiley Happy

Read more on contextual targeting:

http://support.google.com/adwords/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=2404186

-Moshe

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 3
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi ZX,

I agree with MosheTLV that combination of contextual targeting (keywords or topics) and managed placements is a great choice.

Could you just tell us what Display Network setting are you using? Broad reach or Specific reach?

If you want your ads to appear only next to relevant content (based on the keywords or topics) on the placements you've selected, you should select Specific reach. If you select Broad reach, managed placements will have only secondary role.

More info in AdWords help center.

Hope it helps,

Frank

Meet AdWords