AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
2.4K members online now
2.4K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

Managed Placement Targeting

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I'm going to start display campaign on managed placement basis for 5 categories (not related to each other on product basis) of the targeted website. But my problem here is that placements/websites for all 5 categories are 90% same.

So if I start my campaign then all 5 categories ads start competing with each other. Right?

So how would I avoid this situation, and still be able to target pre-decided placements/websites?

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author skmr
September 2015

Re: Managed Placement Targeting

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

I see the situation like this. The competition scenario takes place when on the same page from one of those placements ( which is common to all 5 campaigns) , google has to decide which ads to place from your 5 campaigns IF ad groups from all campaigns match that page.

How many of you own ads can appear on the same page from all the 5 campaigns ? 

A: 3 banner ads or all 5 text ads, because the Display Network does not have anti double-serving rules.

How can you reduce competition ? 

A: set custom bids in the placements tab in all campaigns and make the same bid for the same site in all 5 campaigns. This way at least the Ads from the campaign which has the better CTR will win.

View solution in original post

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hmm... I Don't quite understand. What's wrong having your ad shown on each placement (website)?
Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Display campaign that I'm going to run is for "sanitary fittings" website. They're looking to target 5 specific categories - kitchen, bathroom, 2 kitchen faucets separately, 1 bathroom faucet separately.

They asked me to first find relevant websites for their items so that we can target those websites through managed placements display ad campaign.

So my main problem here is the websites I was able to find was almost identical for each above mentioned categories.

I've created 5 separate campaigns for those 5 categories, but again managed placements websites are identical. So I'm sure these 5 campaign ads are going to fight each other to acquire their place, which could result higher CPC for my campaigns.

I want to avoid this situation, and want all these 5 campaigns ads shows equally and won't fight each other for their place. I hope I'm more clear this time.

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor
Ads will NOT compete because these are different sites
Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Oh Sorry!! I guess it's my mistake. Instead of saying that site are identical, I should have told that sites are same.

For example let's say I'm targeted 3 website through managed placements, and sites are as follow:-

1. abc[dot]com

2. xyz[dot]com

3. def[dot]com

My plan is to target all my 5 categories (display campaign) ads on these mentiond websites, so my ads will compete with each other to get their place.

I want to avoid this situation.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Please someone help me!!! Is there no solution for my issue?

Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor

If  those are different domains the ads will not compete;

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author skmr
September 2015

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

I see the situation like this. The competition scenario takes place when on the same page from one of those placements ( which is common to all 5 campaigns) , google has to decide which ads to place from your 5 campaigns IF ad groups from all campaigns match that page.

How many of you own ads can appear on the same page from all the 5 campaigns ? 

A: 3 banner ads or all 5 text ads, because the Display Network does not have anti double-serving rules.

How can you reduce competition ? 

A: set custom bids in the placements tab in all campaigns and make the same bid for the same site in all 5 campaigns. This way at least the Ads from the campaign which has the better CTR will win.

Top Contributor
# 9
Top Contributor

@Adrian 

In principle, you are correct (but this - in my view would be too complex and beyond the scope of the question) 

However; since you brought it up; you are correct that double serving does not apply to display.Yet, to have more than one ad on the same page, (in addition to have the ads is separate ad-groups)  you must bid differently (to make sure that each ad wins an auction)  and have high QS - (which is not disclosed on the display network)

So to set this structure - is not and easy task (unless the budget is unlimited...)