AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
2K members online now
2K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

Manage campaigns for different companies with identical keywords

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi everybody,

I am new to this community and am hoping some of you experts might be able to advise me regarding managing adwords campains for different, but directly competing companies simultaneously. I have read up on the double-serving policy and I assume that is of no concern to me, since the campaigns link to clearly different companies. 

I will provide a bit more context for you first: I am a small business owner and currently build and host websites for companies from a specific market niche. This is because I focused my acquisition efforts on just a few niche markets to try to specifically appeal to them and cater to their needs. This worked rather well and now I have developed websites for various companies and self-employed professionals in this market. So far so good, but the difficulty for me starts now a number of them have asked me if I can assist in setting up Adwords campaigns. I will admit I am no expert, but have at least some experience on the subject so I happily agreed. 

It occured to me while setting up a number of Adwords accounts for these companies from my MCC account, that I now have several directly competing companies in terms of keywords, target group and location. Yes, I can segment some of the campaigns to target only people in their vicinity so there is no real cross-over between campaigns, but for some others there is just no other way than to target the same people using the same keywords in the same area for two different companies.

Now, getting to the point: Is there any specific way, strategy or advice anyone could share with me so I can try to get all their ads located at the top of the sponsored results without them outbidding each other in an endless loop and driving bidding costs up to mindblowing heights? 

I appreciate any suggestions you may give me! 

2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Manage campaigns for different companies with identical keywords

[ Edited ]
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi there,

Interesting post.

The first piece of advice I would give is to ensure that you set up individual accounts for individual clients with unique gmail acocunts and use your own login details for the MCC. That way should any clients wish to take over their own acocunt and not use your service, you can just remove it from your MCC, provide them with their own login details and that's that.

If you've got clients in exactly the same industry it's making your life a lot easier. Replicate the account build and manage the accounts independently. You will quiickly realise that the accounts will perform very differently, thus,  don't worry about double serving.

One of my previous clients, a leading Travel Insurance provider in the UK had two virtually identical websites (except for the SEO content) with the same prices etc but different trading/website names. The accounts performed completely differently to such an extent that looking at data from one and ecorporating it into the marketing for the other was fundamentally pointless.

In short, replicate the account build and manage them according to performance just like any other client.

Ryan.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks for your quick assistance Ryan! Glad you found it interesting Smiley Wink

I forgot to mention it, but I have indeed setup different adwords accounts for those different clients and afterwards added them to my MCC, as you suggest. I hope it wont be necessary anytime soon, but this indeed gives them the option to continue themselves should they decide to no longer need my help.

So if I understand correctly, you are of the opinion that having these clients in the same line of business is actually a plus? I found that designing one campaign and pretty much copy-pasting it to other clients was indeed quite a timesaver, because I did not have to research different niche markets!  My worry however was that having those highly similar campaigns for the same keywords would trigger an "internal bidding war" between my clients that would result in unnecessarily high cost-per-click. Are you saying that this is actually unavoidable, so I might as well leave it be?

I can understand that two different but competing websites might lead to very different scores and results in Adwords (although I doubt it since I am the same person formulating both their --as you suggested almost identical-- adwords campaigns), but the main premise of my doubt is the fact that I still need to advertise using identical keywords for multiple companies.

Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi,

No worries.

"So if I understand correctly, you are of the opinion that having these clients in the same line of business is actually a plus?"

In terms of the acocunt build, yes. It's a real time saver, as you suggested in the following sentence.

"My worry however was that having those highly similar campaigns for the same keywords would trigger an "internal bidding war" between my clients that would result in unnecessarily high cost-per-click. Are you saying that this is actually unavoidable, so I might as well leave it be?"

Remember, there are up to ten available places on a search result page, as long as you're optimising each account according to their opwn performance a bidding war will be avoided. The only time interestes may conflict is if a keyword is providing good traffic and a good return for both clients which enables you to increase bids to acheive positions 1 and 2. In this situation it would be up to you how to manage this but I doubt this would happen.

"I can understand that two different but competing websites might lead to very different scores and results in Adwords (although I doubt it since I am the same person formulating both their --as you suggested almost identical-- adwords campaigns)"

I can only inform you of the experience I have had, no two acocunts will perform the same, regardless of the similarity in account structure.

"but the main premise of my doubt is the fact that I still need to advertise using identical keywords for multiple companies."

This is a valid concern. Just ensure that you're not double serving the same ads for each client. Create a large list of Headines, description line 1s and description line 2s with various USPs and calls to action and ensure that at no point will any client be using the same ads.

On a side not of the above, I never overlap description line 1 and 2. I ause description line 1 to promote a USP and description line 2 for a call to action.

Buy Product X - £5.99
Shipped To Your Door In 24 Hours.
Buy Online Today & Get Free P&P.

The benefit of this is that it allows you to quickly and efficiently test ad copy.

Ryan.

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

Hi Wouter82 and welcome to the forum with what is indeed an interesting question, and one that was asked (in essence) by another poster just earlier this week.

If I may add to Ryan's already thorough answers...  Firstly, yes, there are so many factors that determine AdWords performance that it is probably surprisingly unlikely you'll end up in direct competition - particularly if there are other businesses (outside your management and hosting) also competing in these auctions.  Quite apart from anything else it may well be that no one Account displays an Ad for all possible impressions at all times anyway.

There are other options, of course.  You could consider rotating the schedule of advertising or look at advertising different products at differnet times.

A lot would depend upon the exact nature of the business so if you can share any more info on this we'd probably be able to give some more specific advice.

Jon

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits

Rising Star
# 6
Rising Star

In addition to the good advice already given here, let me point out that ad messaging is where the accounts should probably start to diverge--right from the start. Each company should have a unique "brand" message that's enforced on their website. You should make certain that the ad messaging for each company supports that.

As far as managing accounts for directly competing businesses--not all clients like to hear you're doing that. This makes it, in my opinion, very important that each client be able to see that their account is being handled specifically to their benefit. Making sure their website is individual and that their ad messaging is specially chosen to reinforce the value proposition that client feels is most important to them will help.

Just my $0.02.

Theresa
Google AdWords Top Contributor
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks for your help Ryan, Jon and Theresa! You all make a lot of good and valid points that will surely help me.

I can see the value in looking at and communicating different USP's, also when you'd have two competitors for which the same keywords are relevant. However, to explain a bit more about my clientèle in this specific situation, I am working for a number of independent dietitians and a few medical centers with 2 to 5 dietitiansI guess that each one of them would have a certain expertise within their broader field of work, but they are dietitians regardless. So in terms of attracting visitors to their websites via Adwords, it is difficult to really communicate different things when they all want to attract the same kind of people to help them with the same types of health-related problems. True differentation is rather difficult in this situation I think? What's especially tricky is that some of them are situated in the same city.