AdWords
5.3K members online now
5.3K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

Making Life Easier With Labels

[ Edited ]
Google Employee
# 1
Google Employee

Hello there folks!

Hope you’re campaigns are going well! This week I’d like to talk about a new feature in the AdWords interface that some of you might have been testing out lately - AdWords Labels.

Labels are a great way to organise your campaigns by the criteria that make most sense for you and your business. The main benefit of this is that it allows you to run reports on these different elements to see how these factors are influencing your account performance. You can apply these labels across different aspects of your account, including campaigns, ad groups and keywords. Once you have applied these labels, you can then run Labels reports from the Dimensions tab, or run reports and filter the data via your Labels on either the Ads, Keywords, Ad Group, or Campaign tab.

You can even organise your labels from their own admin page in the account to make it even easier to apply, create and delete your labels.

For example, if you had a book selling business you could create labels to filter data for certain aspects of the books you are selling. In your ‘Novels’ ad group for example, you could create labels for 2nd Hand Books, Brand New Books, or Pre-Order Books. This would allow you to slice and dice your data so you can see how aspects of your account are performing quickly and easily.

Have you used AdWords labels before? How have you got on with them?

Good luck with your labeling!

A.

(Please remember, as this is an open forum please don't post your CIDs or any other account specific information. The AdWords Support team is more then happy to assist you if you contact us directly.)

2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Making Life Easier With Labels

Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi, Thanks for the valuable inputs. I started using labels last month and found it really useful.
I Found labels also useful for managing different accounts in MCC. We can easily filter the accounts by clicking in related labels link in left sidebar. Its much better Smiley Happy

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

We like to use labels to compare the main KPIs of different campaigns in different ACCOUNTS. 

For example, we would run a "blue widgets" campaign in one account for the US and the same in a different account for the UK. We use labels to display what we're "competing against" in the other account without having to actually switch.

Labels can be pretty versatile. Lots of uses beyond the obvious.

Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭

Dave_Davis wrote:

We like to use labels to compare the main KPIs of different campaigns in different ACCOUNTS. 

For example, we would run a "blue widgets" campaign in one account for the US and the same in a different account for the UK. We use labels to display what we're "competing against" in the other account without having to actually switch.

Labels can be pretty versatile. Lots of uses beyond the obvious.

Hi Dave, I am so new here. I didn't understand how can we compare any things of two accounts at once without swithing. It would be helpful for me if you can explain it in details.

Thanks

Top Contributor Alumni
# 5
Top Contributor Alumni

Nice topic Alys,

I have a few different way that I use for the labels.

On some of the larger accounts with 100's of AdGroups, I'll label Adgroups and campaigns with dates so I can easily see when I was working on them.

For campaign level I sometimes use them to let me know which features or settings I am running in them. If I have conversion optimmiser on I'll use "CPA" as the label and "AR" if I'm using automated rules.

As we work with our clients we'll sometimes split test ads with one of theirs vs one of ours and label the ads so we know which one is which.

I am still working out new ways to use them in more and more ways and there isn't much of a limit on how you can use them.

It's handy that you can have multiple labels for the same item as well 

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
I am using labels such as "Important" (watch out!), "Experiment" (if they are in an ACE) or "Display" (if I don´t have that in campaign name).

I like that you can get labels as a column when you download a report in Excel format

Google Employee
# 7
Google Employee

Hello all, 

Thanks for all your replies so far! Some brilliant suggestions here! :-)

Are there any new features you'd like to see added with Labels in AdWords? If you post your requests and ideas here, I'd love to take these suggestions forward to our engineering teams. 

Thanks!

A. 

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 8
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
As i stated in a different post, it may be useful in 2 scenarios:

(1 When you have model no. as keywords and you want to remember which one is what.

(2 A Keywords whose bid is constantly changing for whatever reason, you may label it and then carefully watch it's performance.

Definitely important feature.

Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆
# 9
Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆

I have just started labeling my new keywords and ads with the date created, and went back to find this thread because I got the idea here. Thanks to purefuzz for suggesting this.

I am also using labels to sort out the different landing pages I'm using and the tracking codes embedded in the URLs. It's much easier to see them at a glance.