AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
2.3K members online now
2.3K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

Low cost keywords - how can I use them better?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

We are a computer repair business with two adword campaigns been running almost a year.

There are some low cost keywords that I would like to take advantage of but not sure how to do it.

For example:  +mac+repair only costs $0.79 in adgroup repair mac

However when I type in mac repair in AdPreview and Diagnosis it tells me that the keyword repair apple mac is displaying.  This keyword costs $1.74 in Apple Mac Repairs adgroup.

Both are in the same campaign.

Any suggestions on how I can take advantage of lower cost keywords?

Many thanks

Karen

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Low cost keywords - how can I use them better?

Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star

What you describe is a fairly common situation for advertisers using Broad and/or Modified Broad match keywords. Although you cannot force the system to trigger one of your ads, you can certainly block an ad from being triggered.

Your example seems to have a complication. It's difficult to be certain, but it looks as though you're using both the Modified Broad match keyword +mac +repair and the Broad match keyword repair apple mac in a different Ad Group?

These keywords are very likely to overlap--to serve many of the same searches. "Forcing" the system to serve the lower-cost keyword is going to be difficult. Even if you pause the higher cost keyword, the other one is likely to pick up the slack--start serving more of the higher-cost searches.

There's one thing you can try. Go into your Repair Mac Ad Group and add apple as a negative keyword. That way, none of the ads in that Ad Group will be eligible to trigger for any search query that includes the word apple. This should funnel a lot of those searches to the other keyword. However, it won't impact the fundamental cost of those searches. If those searches are just more expensive to serve, then the average click cost for your low cost keyword is going to go up.

Hope that helps?

Theresa
Google AdWords Top Contributor
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Karen,

This is a great question! I would recommend adding [mac repair] as a negative exact match keyword to the Apple Mac Repairs ad group so the keyword 'repair apple mac' won't be triggered for that term. You can also add in [repair mac] as a negative too.

Hope that helps!

Rising Star
# 4
Rising Star

As I read the original post, it seems to be searches that include the word apple that are the fundamental problem?

However, Bethany B's post is a good one--some intensive work considering which searches you want  which keywords to service and carefully creating Ad Group-level negative keyword lists to try and "funnel" traffic the way you want it to go would probably produce good results.

Theresa
Google AdWords Top Contributor
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

thanks the negative keywords should be a good answer.

Karen