AdWords
2.1K members online now
2.1K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

Low Search Volume Keywords Impact?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Do low search volume keywords and below first page bid keywords that go 0/0 affect your account history or quality score in any way? I asked two different Adwords support people (one chat, one email) and they both said that 0/0 keywords would have a negative impact on your account history but I have read on forums and on the internet that 0/0 keywords have no impact. I'm confused and would like your inputs/clarification.

2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Low Search Volume Keywords Impact?

[ Edited ]
Participant ✭ ☆ ☆
# 2
Participant ✭ ☆ ☆

Hello,

I'm assuming 0/0 means, 0 clicks and 0 impressions. If we talk about the keywords with low search volume then there are chances that hardly Google will show your ads for these keywords you can check the status of keywords by putting the mouse cursor on status cloumn next to keywords, you can read what Google say for these keywords "Users don't search for this term very often on Google properties, so it's not eligible to trigger your ads. If this is a term that you expect to increase in popularity soon (like a new brand name), then you don't need to do anything; the keyword will start triggering ads automatically. "

So it will take some time can be few weeks, months to start showing your ads for these keywords. If such kind keywords are very important for you then I'll recommend you keep 3-4 such keywords which have good quality score in your ad group not more than that. If you have more such keywords it can effect the CTR or we can say overall performance of your ad group and campaign.

For keywords below first page, you need to raise bid for those keywords or other wise you will not get sufficent enough impressions and clicks for your keywords and this will effect the overall performance of ad group and campaign. If you think these keywords are not important for you (if you are using conversion tracking you can know how many conversions these keywords give you) then you can pause or delete these keywords. So both these factor can effect the your campaign account history.

Dinesh
My Blog
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Alys (Google Employee)
September 2015

Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭

According to the Help Center:

Each keyword gets a Quality Score on a scale from 1 to 10, where 1 is the lowest score and 10 is the highest. We recalculate your Quality Score every time your ads are eligible for the ad auction, which can potentially happen many times a day. Rather than showing you different Quality Scores throughout the day, we show you a single Quality Score that gives you an estimate of that keyword's overall quality. I wonder where is that 0/0 ?

Adwords Tip On The Help Center: Don't do anything if your keyword has a low search volume. If the number of searches for these keywords increases even in a small amount, your keywords may be reactivated and could start triggering your ads to show again. This is particularly relevant if you're advertising a new brand, term, or product.

On my end, I do not see Low Search Volume Keywords as a liability if I had created a relevant ad that matches that low search volume keyword and linked it to a relevant landing page. I will test its performance for a certain period and see if I can get quality traffic eventually using that term. It is like a probationary employee, where he is given a certain duration to prove his worth, if within that duration he does not meet the requirements, then he is eliminated. On the other hand if he has significantly improved or contributed positively then he is retained & regularized.

So these low search keywords are your "back up" or they are experimental. You still should have major source of quality traffic on your keywords list.

For Below Frst Page Bid Keywords, I do not consider as a liability either but instead a window of opportunity, that this can be improved by increasing my bid as an instant solution or optimize my account.

What I consider as a liability and needed to be deleted or be really worried about are RARELY SHOWN DUE TO  A LOW QUALITY SCORE KEYWORDS which signals me that this maybe too broad like the word "food" or there is a problem associated with my ads or my site.

Also, keywords that already tested in the market for a certain period but garnered very low impression almost rare to be clicked and did not convert - though they are initially "eligible"-are liability to me.

I hope this helps you somehowRobot wink

More Power,
Loraine
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Alys (Google Employee)
September 2015

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hello Timothy,

Great Thoughts above! Smiley Happy

You want to optimize low search volume keywords.Although low search volume keywords does not effect our campaign if there is no impressions or clicks. And it is advisable to keep them untouched.

There are two kinds of stats i have analyzed so far:

We see few impressions and very less click. Suppose 3 Impressions and 1 clicks, CTR = 33.33%. In this case i would not prefer taking any action against such keywords as they are contributing to overall campaign CTR.

We see many impressions but no click. Suppose 100 clicks but no click. In such a case i prefer to given these keywords second change by raising bids and analyze them for next few days. If it still does not work for me, I prefer to pause such keywords.

Optimize Low search volume keywords:

You can seperate low search volume keywords from you current adgroup. By keeping these keywords seperately you will be able to manage them at adgroup level.

Keep your bids higher so that you won't loose on ad position for these keywords. Don't worry, you will pay close to your current bid a few times, but once you establish good stats you can reduce the bid and scan have your ads displayed.

Keep low search volume keywords in broad match type along with exact & phrase. So that it can be trgiggered for other search terms that are close varaint to your low search volume keyword.

If your low search volume keywords are "long tail keywords", try to shorten them to so that they can reach broader audience.

You can pause these keywords and can add variations of these keywords which have good search volume. For this just enter these low search volume keywords in Keyword tool and look for close vairaitons which you are not using already.

Keywords with 0/0 stats does not harm our campaign performance.

Hope it makes some sense! Smiley Happy

Thanks
Neha

Neha Gupta, AdWordsTop Contributor Follow Me: My Blog | Twitter | Google+ | LinkedIn
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query ? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor
Once more thing I even pause "Low search volume with QS equal or less then 4.
Neha Gupta, AdWordsTop Contributor Follow Me: My Blog | Twitter | Google+ | LinkedIn
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query ? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Sorry for the confusion, I am referring to 0 clicks and 0 impressions when I wrote 0/0

I thought that keywords with 0/0 do not affect campaign performance but when I asked Adwords support they said the following:

My Question: How do keywords with 0 impressions affect quality score? I read on http://productforums.google.com/forum/#!topic/adwords/S_qm1EOl-OQand other places that they don't so I am a bit confused.

Adwords Email Support: "I would like to tell you that keywords that are non performing, or having status as 'Low search volume' do indeed affect the account performance, as well as the Quality Score of other keywords. We would recommend you to not keep such keywords in your account, andatleast pause them if not delete them. The link provided by you in the previous email is a Group Discussion forum in which AdWords users can interact, and not Google's own discussion pool. Hence, I am sorry for the confusion caused!"

My Question 2 to another Adwords Support: Should I pause all of my low search volume keywords? I heard that they could negatively impact account history even if they go 0/0. Do they hurt me in any way?

Adwords Chat Support: Over time it can hurt your account performance. If they continue to have 0 search volume I would remove them. The data at the campaign level is accumulated data from the ad group, ads, and keyword data below it since they are averages. You not only want your keywords and ads to have strong performance, but also the overall campaign.

Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor
Hello Again, If the qs of 0/0 low search volume keyword is poor then only I would pause those as they effect overall campaign performance. Otherwise they wont effect campaign performance negatively. If you use advance search bar on the top and search for ingredients of quality score sauce and receipe of quality score There we had a small discussion on low search volume keyword. Please read that. Hope it helps! Thanks Neha Sent from my Android

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭

Personally I can´t think of any good reason why they would a 0/0 keyword HURT an account.

What can possibly be the rational of that?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

From an "inventory" perspective -having Ad Groups consisting of  only low search volume keywords - although they may start triggering ads at some point in time - they are like items in a grocery store sitting and collecting dust.  Items sitting and collecting dust are doing nobody any good, and actually are costing you money (managing these low volume keywords / ad groups is an expense to consider ). Any of you feel the same way?Man Indifferent

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 10
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
I don't get the purpose of "Low Search Volume" status labeling of keywords. I have created an ad for specific keywords, a landing page for these keywords, and I only need a few clicks to make this worthwhile, yet Google is deciding that because only a few people search for it they'll make the keyword inactive !? This does not make sense to me; it means that a highly relevant ad is not being shown and less relevant ads are; this is not what Google is about surely!