AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
3.6K members online now
3.6K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

Low Quality scores but why?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

We recently re did our website and started up adwords again. The site, the ads and the keywords are all sorts of relevent to one anouther yet i get the "rarely shown do to low quality" thing and QS's of 2/10 and3/10... I havent really dug into Adwords in a few years so it seems like alot may have changed. We are private practice counseling in schaumburg, il.

1) I have limited our targeting area to the local area

2) I have a lot of specific keywords that seem to never get impressions (are these hurting my other ones?)

3) I have a few general ones that get a ton of impressions but low CTR

4) I want someone in my target area to be able to type in "counselor" and get my ad... but thats one of the low QS keywords.

5) the site is schaumburgcounselor.com and is pretty keyword rich, i think.

6) i have keyword groups for anxiety, depression, children and teens, and a more general group

7) each ad group has several text ads.

soooo... should i scratch all my ads and ad groups and start from scratch with just a few kewords and few ads rather than have all there KW and ad variations? OR what is it I am doing wrong?

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Low Quality scores but why?

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 2
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
Hi fraidknow1212,

I would start with question when did you start your campaign?

If it was couple days ago then AdWords as it is very dynamic environment needs couple weeks to stabilize all data QS included.

If it was couple weeks ago you may need to make some changes.

You could split adgroups into generic topic (counselor,...) and select keywords and ads specific for them. And create adgroups with specific topic (depression, anxiety....).

What is the most important for good QS is high CTR. So you may want to delete keywords with a little impressions and sooner or later keep keywords with good CTR which bring you significant traffic.

You could also check Search terms report to get an idea what search queries are users using and ad them to your keyword list if there are relevant.

Search term report:

http://support.google.com/adwords/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=2472708

And as always, AdWords requires some testing to get the best results.

Good luck,

Meet AdWords

Rising Star
# 3
Rising Star

The suggestions above are good.

At least as important as those things are is your negative keyword list. Make sure you mine your search query list regularly and add negative keywords to block unwanted traffic to your ads. That will go a long way toward increasing your click-through rate, improving the quality of the traffic to your website, and saving your click budget for the kind of traffic you're most interested in attracting.

Good luck!

Theresa
Google AdWords Top Contributor
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 4
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
"So you may want to delete keywords with a little impressions"

I don't see how this should improve your CTR ?

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 5
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
Hi marketsharer,

sorry if I was not clear in my post.

Keywords with none or low impressions have very low CTR (it's clear form the first post that they don't get any clicks). So the QS of this keywords is very low what negatively affects QS of other keywords in adgroup.

Thanks

Rising Star
# 6
Rising Star

Actually, as far as I know, keywords tagged "low search volume" are largely inactive for search--traffic simply isn't served on them.  You'll occasionally see a few impressions as Google experiments with adding some of them to the advertising keyword database.

The point, though, is that these don't affect your other keywords or your quality scores in any way. They simply sit there, inactive, in the account until and if they are activated for search.

Just my $0.02.

Theresa
Google AdWords Top Contributor
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

all, thanks for the feedback all. I really apprciate it. to anser a few questions:

- yes, i have negitive keywords to filter our career counseling, free therapy, etc..

- We have had a site for 2 years, but it was re done from the ground up 2 weeks ago. We have had a GA account for a very long time, but wer not actively using it for the past 9 months to a year. (we really were not needing it!)

- i have a few adgroups but im thinking based on your responses, i need to cut the fat out of them and really make them specific to the keywords in there and the ads specific to them as well.. without overlapping much and smaller KW lists..

that said.. the more specific my keywords, the less they get impressions ( or ever get impressions), however, i thought being specific was a good thing... and some of these have the higher QS (6s and 7s), yet get 1 impression a day and most of them 0. So... should I cut all of these out and just really aim at the ones i know will see the most traffic even if they are more generic, thus reducing my low or no CTRs accross the group?

Right now I have like 300 KW across 5 groups, but most in the general and depression groups. maybe what y'll are saying is have like 10 in a group and keep it tighter? I honestly dont want to be a professional AdWords guy... I just want this one site to perform for some comonly searched terms like "counselor" and "therapist" in our chicago area targeting. and I get it that just "counselor" isnt a specific keyword, but its the right one because our target audiance will open up google and type in "counselor" knowing they will get local results.. so i think its a must have. when i modify it with "schaumburg" or other location words it gets the "low search volume" or just never gets impressions/ clicks...

any additional feedback would be awesome. thanks again.

Zee Community Manager
Community Manager
# 8
Zee Community Manager
Community Manager