AdWords
2.1K members online now
2.1K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

Long Ad titles in the first position

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello everyone,

If possible, I would like some help concerning the lenght of my ads. Indeed , as the ad is in the top position, the first descriptive line is positioned right next to my title but as the first descriptive line and the second descriptive line are linked together, it doesn't make sense anymore. I thought we should include a punctuation at the end of the first descriptive line so it can be positioned next to the title of the ad. Can it be explained by the keyword insertion in the headline?

Thanks a lot,

Justin

1 Expert replyverified_user
2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by MosheTLV (Top Contributor)
September 2015

Justi

[ Edited ]
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 2
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi Justin,

If you have the static ad like this-
Headline: Buy Chocolate online
Display URL: www.example.com
Description line 1: Artisan candy from San Francisco
Description line 2: Free shipping orders $50 more

Then in top position in Google you can see like this (If you dont have seller ratings)-

Buy Chocolate online - Artisan candy from San Francisco
www.example.com
Free shipping orders $50 more

Automatically a separator hyphen is added in title and the description. You need not add it in ad copy.

Still if you want to add allowed punctuation character in keyword inserted ad copies, you can use below ad text-

Headline: Buy {keyword:Chocolate}!

Then the top position ad will look like this-

Buy Dark Chocolate! - Artisan candy from San Francisco
www.example.com

If the search term has longer length than the allowed in head line ie 25 characters then the ad will be displayed like this-
Buy Chocolate! - Artisan candy from San Francisco
www.example.com

More info on keyword insertion-
https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2454041

Hope this helps!

SJ

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Justin C
September 2015

Re: Justi

Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor

That should not happen, unless you have a point or other punctuation at the end of the line, triggering a "signal" of a complete sentence.

Pause this ad .Create a new one. For some reason the system regards it as a full sentence.

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by MosheTLV (Top Contributor)
September 2015

Justi

[ Edited ]
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 2
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi Justin,

If you have the static ad like this-
Headline: Buy Chocolate online

Then in top position in Google you can see like this (If you dont have seller ratings)-

Buy Chocolate online - Artisan candy from San Francisco
www.example.com

Automatically a separator hyphen is added in title and the description. You need not add it in ad copy.

Still if you want to add allowed punctuation character in keyword inserted ad copies, you can use below ad text-

Headline: Buy {keyword:Chocolate}!

Then the top position ad will look like this-

Buy Dark Chocolate! - Artisan candy from San Francisco
www.example.com

If the search term has longer length than the allowed in head line ie 25 characters then the ad will be displayed like this-
Buy Chocolate! - Artisan candy from San Francisco
www.example.com

More info on keyword insertion-
https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2454041

Hope this helps!

SJ

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

A quick addition to the comprehensive answer by SJ:

Google does extensive research before implementing a new ad format. It is not introduced unless Google is certain (by analyzing data ) that this format performs better.

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks a lot for your answers!

In fact my ad was written like this:

Headline: {Keyword: Insurance BI & Analytics}
Display URL: www.Inedge.com/InsuranceBIAnalytics
Description line 1: Understand Insurance-Specific
Description line 2: BI Challenges with Inedge!

Then in top position in Google, it appears like this for the keyword insurance analytics

Headline: Insurance Analytics - Understand Insurance-Specific

www.inedge.com/InsuranceBIAnalytics

BI Challenges with Inedge!

You can see it doesn't make sense anymore as the two lines of description are not linked anymore.

I didn't put any punctuation and in the review tool, the ad does not appear this format as a top position.

Could you help me with that?

Thanks a lot!!

Justin

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

Hello there;

Two points to make;

1. First: you must carefully choose your keywords when using dynamic keyword insertion. Otherwise, you have already noticed that the sentence might not make sense...(Quoting the help center: "When you use keyword insertion, make sure that all of your keywords in your ad group are closely related and fit well in each ad that contains the snippet of code. Otherwise, your ad could appear confusing or irrelevant to potential customers if there are some keywords that wouldn't well with keyword insertion")

2. Second - do you have at the end of  the in the first description line  an "end of sentence punctuation"? Since these types of ad formats will be shown only " if we've determined that your first description line is clearly a complete phrase or sentence, we might add part of your description to your headline, creating a longer, more noticeable headline."

https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/1722087?hl=en

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thank you for your quick answer!

I understand your first point and to answer your question, I have no "end of sentence punctuation" like a point at the end of the first descriptive line. It seems Google understand it as a complete sentence even if there is no punctuation mark at the end and I have no control over it. Yet my first descriptive line is not a complete sentence and I would like this one not to appear next to the headline as it does not make sense without the second descriptive line. 

Is there a way for the first descriptive line not to appear next to the headline?

Thank you!!

Justin

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Justin C
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor

That should not happen, unless you have a point or other punctuation at the end of the line, triggering a "signal" of a complete sentence.

Pause this ad .Create a new one. For some reason the system regards it as a full sentence.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thank you!

I will follow your advice.

Justin

Top Contributor
# 9
Top Contributor

Let us know if  this made any changes to  ad format that  is shown.

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 10
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
I have the same issue as the guy above. Google is misinterpreting the phrases as complete phrases and showing them on line 1. I would like to be able check all of my ads, for all my clients.

Is there any way to check all my ads without having to go through them 1 at a time?