AdWords
3.9K members online now
3.9K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

Location targeting rules

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi 

I was considering the possibility to adjust Bids by location and I realised that I don't know exactly the way how our Ads are displayed around the different targeted countries.

First think to know is that our budget is not a limitation (currently far above the real cost per day) and we don't want to limit a budget in a specific country.

I develop my example:

We have a campaign displayed in France, Belgium, Luxembourg, and Switzerland. Could anyone tell me if our Ads are simultaneously displayed in all those countries around the clock, or if the Ads are displayed around the clock and around the country too ?

Thanks for your time and reply...

Regards

Ramon

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Ramon l
September 2015

Re: Location targeting rules

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi Ramon, some of the answer depends upon your settings.  If you have only one Campaign that's targeting all four countries and has no specific Ad Scheduling applied then yes, in theory your Ads could be showing simultaneously in all four 24/7.

If this is the structure of your Account, it's not ideal.  It's usually a much better approach to split location targets down logically to provide more control over spend and better information on performance.  For example, it could be that France has a much higher CPC than Belgium, but seeing this at a Keyword level can be awkward.  If you've got one Campaign for France and one for Belgium, you can see instantly how the two compare.  Splitting by country like this also allows you to use different Ad Schedules - you may find your Ads don't work well at the weekend in Luxembourg for example.

I'd definitely advise bidding by Location - you will almost certainly see differences in performance for each country - but I'd do it by splitting into multiple Campaigns rather than bid adjustments at the Location level in a single Campaign.

Jon

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Ramon l
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi Ramon, some of the answer depends upon your settings.  If you have only one Campaign that's targeting all four countries and has no specific Ad Scheduling applied then yes, in theory your Ads could be showing simultaneously in all four 24/7.

If this is the structure of your Account, it's not ideal.  It's usually a much better approach to split location targets down logically to provide more control over spend and better information on performance.  For example, it could be that France has a much higher CPC than Belgium, but seeing this at a Keyword level can be awkward.  If you've got one Campaign for France and one for Belgium, you can see instantly how the two compare.  Splitting by country like this also allows you to use different Ad Schedules - you may find your Ads don't work well at the weekend in Luxembourg for example.

I'd definitely advise bidding by Location - you will almost certainly see differences in performance for each country - but I'd do it by splitting into multiple Campaigns rather than bid adjustments at the Location level in a single Campaign.

Jon

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Jon,

Thnaks a lot for your prompt reply... it confirms what I thought...
Currently we could not split further because our structure is already quite complex and we already split Country/Languages into diffrent acounts and then we have more than 200 campaigns in each account according to the brands we sales...

Actually it#s good to know that it should be displayed simultaneously in each country according to our bids.

Regards
Ramon

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hi Ramon, yes, splitting by region/language can certainly quickly become very complex when you have a large Account.

Have you considered using the API?  It's not a quick solution and requires time and experience, but in the long term it can make managing very large Accounts easier.

Jon

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Jon,

Actually we work using APi, and adding manual Campaigns/Adgroups when necessary... So currently we have 7 Accounts (=groups of countries: DACH/French speakers/Dutch speakers...) working with more than 200 Campaigns each, splitted in to around 1500 Adgroups ...Even if we use API, the analysis still manual with use of automatic reports...
So splitting into more campaigns or Accounts will use more effort that they maybe not worth...
Thanks again for your help

Ramon