AdWords
3.8K members online now
3.8K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

Location targeting issue

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi,

"Your ad isn't eligible to appear due to your advanced location targeting options"

This message appears with the following settings in place:

• Location targeting - radius of 30 miles around a UK town
  • Ads showing to "people in my targeted location"
  • Keywords being used include geo-terms e.g. Canada, USA, Ireland.

The ads were initially being shown to "people in, searching for or viewing pages about my location" but enqiuries were coming in from the other end of the country!

Please advise.

3 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Location targeting issue

Top Contributor Alumni
# 2
Top Contributor Alumni

Hi

I think this thread should help you

http://productforums.google.com/forum/#!category-topic/adwords/campaign-management/Cp4gmhLRSvI

Does this solve your problem or you looking for something else?

Regards, Nik
LinkedIn  |   @nikhilparachure | My Blog

Re: Location targeting issue in The UK

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hello questions18; welcome ;

In the UK,  you can target only by city level or by region. I don't think targeting by radius would work (due to technical limitations of mapping IP addresses).

http://support.google.com/adwords/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=1722075

As far as the advanced targeting options; Read our articles on that:

-Moshe

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hi questions18,

Location Targeting is one of the trickiest settings which you deal with and especially when Adwords has included some of the advanced targeting methods which can explicitly be used to target right set of audiences for your campaigns.

A thorough knowledge of how actually it works and how Google targets different options of advanced targeting wil help you gain more insight and find the right users for your business.

I am not actually sure what your business line is and what you really want to accomplish when you actually target 30 miles around a UK Town and at the same time you are using regional keywords outside your target regions (Canada, US as you mentioned).

Its better to go through the links Moshe righty pointed above where he along with TC Tom has given a clear vision of advanced targeting and in second one, TC Scott has written an excellent article over Adwords Targeting. You can find more details about Advanced Location options over here too.

Just a thought!

Pankaj

Google Employee
# 5
Google Employee

Excellent ideas here! Hopefully these resources will help you fix your problem. If you need more help if you clarify the problem a little further the community might be able to help further. 

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Moshe

Thanks for the articles, they definitely clear up Location Targeting etc.

However...

I'm still in a predicament because I want to target geo-specific keywords as it is for a shipping business (i.e. shipping to America, Canada etc.)

But, only a certain area of the UK can be served so how do you suggest getting over this one?

I've tried adding individual cities in the area but it reduces the traffic alot as Google doesn't seem to cover the area.

Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor

Hello again questions18;

If the Geo targeting region is a too wide area, (based on the list  in the link given, under the UK), then you need to target by intent. (See detailed explanation in the articles linked), i.e. to include the location in the keyword (e.g. Cargo shipping from Manchester.)

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’