AdWords
1.7K members online now
1.7K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

Location extensions with multiple physical locations

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

We have two physical locations (stores) synced under the Account Extensions tab with our Google My Business account. We don't have location extensions set up separately at the campaign or ad group level. Our multiple campaigns do not include keywords that target either location. My question is how Adwords deals with multiple locations synced at the account level when there are no filters set at the campaign or ad group level. My hope is that Adwords will serve the location which is closest to the location of the searcher or which correspond to any location specific keywords they are searching for. Is this how it works or do I need to create new campaigns and ad groups geared towards specific locations and filter my locations extensions accordingly. I would like to avoid this as this would ad significant complexity to my campaign structure.

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author David D
September 2015

Re: Location extensions with multiple physical locations

Rising Star
# 3
Rising Star

Hi David,

Welcome to AdWords Community!

With the recent update to Location Extensions, it is no longer required to have campaign level extensions, as they're now at the account level. You just have to link your Google My Business account to AdWords and add all your locations (2 in your case) within the My Business account. Appropriate location would be shown to the user, based on his/her location.

Here's an example from the help center:

Karla owns a chain of coffee shops, and she wants to draw in customers who are seeking caffeine near any of her locations. She targets a radius of three miles around her location extension addresses, so her ads can appear for people nearby when they search for “coffee shop” or other keywords in Karla’s ad campaign.

Karla opens a new coffee shop and adds it as a location extension in her existing campaign. Her campaign targets this new location as well.

More info about location extensions here.

Hope that helps.

Cheers,

Sumanth

Sumanth Sridhar

View solution in original post

Participant ✭ ✭ ☆
# 2
Participant ✭ ✭ ☆
Hi David,

You are correct. AdWords will show the nearest location to the person searching.

If you choose to set up separate campaigns then you can use the filter option but you don't need to. Smiley Happy

Best,
Amy
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author David D
September 2015

Rising Star
# 3
Rising Star

Hi David,

Welcome to AdWords Community!

With the recent update to Location Extensions, it is no longer required to have campaign level extensions, as they're now at the account level. You just have to link your Google My Business account to AdWords and add all your locations (2 in your case) within the My Business account. Appropriate location would be shown to the user, based on his/her location.

Here's an example from the help center:

Karla owns a chain of coffee shops, and she wants to draw in customers who are seeking caffeine near any of her locations. She targets a radius of three miles around her location extension addresses, so her ads can appear for people nearby when they search for “coffee shop” or other keywords in Karla’s ad campaign.

Karla opens a new coffee shop and adds it as a location extension in her existing campaign. Her campaign targets this new location as well.

More info about location extensions here.

Hope that helps.

Cheers,

Sumanth

Sumanth Sridhar

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Sumanth,

Thank you for the quick answer to my question.

What about call extensions? Ideally I would like the address and the click to call button to correspond to the location closest to the user. How do I get the correct address and the correct call button to display on mobile without separate campaigns?

In Karla's coffee shops example it seems that as each new location becomes synced with her business account she adds a three mile radius around this new address within the same campaign. This results in searches within that radius get shown the business location, phone number (without the call button) and map marker for that location extension. How would Karla get the appropriate call button for that location to display on mobile without creating a separate campaign?

Thanks. 

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

After further research I found the following information on the Adwords help page excerpted below.

"On the Google Search Network, ads with location extensions can appear as a standard text ad with your business address and phone number. On high-end mobile phones, a clickable “Call” button may appear in place of your phone number."

So, it seems that with the updated location extensions synced with Goggle My Business the "Call" button automatically appears on high end phones.

Rising Star
# 6
Rising Star
Hi David,

Yes, that's right!

You'll have to enter the address & phone number of each store location in your Google My Business account, so that Google shows the appropriate phone number associated to that location extension. Along with the location extension, users would see your phone number on computers and a call button on high end mobile phones.

Hope that clarifies things, feel free to write back with questions Smiley Happy

Cheers,
Sumanth
Sumanth Sridhar

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Sumanth,

Given that a call button appears on high end mobile phones "automatically" with locations extension alone, is there any additional benefit for bricks and mortar businesses of using both location extensions and call extensions other than the additional reporting information that comes with call exgtensions?.

Thanks,
David

Rising Star
# 8
Rising Star
Good question, David!

Yes, call reporting is one of the advantages. Another would be that call extension doesn't have a location constraint (unlike location extension) and hence may appear to users who aren't able to see location extensions. That being said, if you're strictly looking for business around your physical location, you can go with Location Extensions alone, as we cannot control which call extension (assuming both stores have different numbers) would appear to a user.

Cheers,
Sumanth
Sumanth Sridhar

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
I have been experiencing a rather strange problem with this. I manage a number of Google My Business accounts for various businesses and have noticed the location and phone number of some of the GMB accounts I manage appearing as extensions on the text ads for other businesses I manage PPC for (and manage GMB)... Any ideas?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 10
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Amy,

Out of interest, do call extension works the same way?