AdWords
2.3K members online now
2.3K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

Location extensions not downloading

Badged Google Partner
# 1
Badged Google Partner

I have GMB location extensions setup and running just fine in one of my client accounts, however, I can not download them to the Adwords Editor tool on my desktop. Any ideas? 

Thanks!

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Location extensions not downloading

[ Edited ]
Google Employee
# 2
Google Employee

Editor only supports (or rather, used to support) old, so-called "not upgraded", location extensions. It is my understanding that these have been discontinued and removed from all accounts, so that tab in Editor just sits there, useless.

Editor doesn't support new, "upgraded" location extensions at this time. In fact, it's not entirely clear to me what kind of support Editor could provide in the future. There's not much you need to do with them in AdWords - you just link your GMB account, and they automatically show up and start serving.

Badged Google Partner
# 3
Badged Google Partner
In Editor V.10.6.0 the Location Extensions tab remains active with a reference regarding how to add location extensions from GMB - leading to the following help doc:
https://support.google.com/adwords/editor/answer/47644?hl=en&ref_topic=29887&rd=1

I understand how to sync GMB and filter for the appropriate location(s) and have them successfully running on all campaigns I manage. What I don't understand, is why the Adwords Editor tool purports to support GMB Location Extensions, yet, they do not download to the Editor. I have also checked the download settings for Location Extensions under the Tools > Settings > Download.

Thank you for your response. Any further insights would be appreciated. It would be nice to sort-out this point of confusion :-)
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Dino B
September 2015

Google Employee
# 4
Google Employee
AdWords Editor purports to support old, aka "not-upgraded", location extensions. Back when v10.6 was released, they still worked; I believe they no longer do. If you follow the instructions in that article you cite, and then try to Post Changes, you should be getting an error.

With new, "upgraded" extensions, you don't attach your GMB account separately to each campaign. Instead, you attach it once to the whole account.

Even though they look similar in the online interface, the new extensions are represented very differently on the server than the old ones were. The procedure for the client to obtain them from the server is different; Editor 10.6 simply doesn't have the necessary code. It still runs old code used to download old extensions, but there aren't any left.

The current plan is to drop support for location extensions from the upcoming Editor release. The old extensions are no more, and the new ones don't need the kind of extensive, large scale editing that Editor is good at. It only takes a one-time action (linking your AdWords account to your GMB account), and then its all automatic from there.

Badged Google Partner
# 5
Badged Google Partner
Thank you again for your detailed response. I appreciate your time.

I understand. I think a couple of items were creating the confusion:
a.) The Location Extension tab and functionality in the Editor UI remains.
b.) The terminology in Editor is updated to reference GMB, previously Places, so I assumed the Editor should function with the upgraded location extensions sync'd with GMB.

Thanks again for the clarification! I will simply ignore the tab in Editor and wait for it to vanish.