AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
4.4K members online now
4.4K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

Location & call Extensions on Mobiles

Top Contributor
# 1
Top Contributor

Hi

I'm trying to understand how the location and call extensions work when a searcher is using a mobile device.

I have a client for whom I have set up several location extensions - one for each of their stores. A searcher enters their search term and Google will serve the ad with the location extension of the store closest to them (the geotargeting means that all searchers have a store close to them - they are in a pretty tight radius of one another).

As I understand it, Google does this using the IP address.

So which ad is served when a user is on a mobile device - which uses 3G technology, and not IP?

And the same question for call extensions - one for each store - but how does Google decide which to serve to mobiles?

I really like the idea of being able to serve call extensions to mobile users - it makes perfect sense - and if I had just the one central number that would be perfect - but in this case I have 25 or so different numbers and I want to serve the closest one to the searcher....

any insights most welcome....

Thanks

3 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Tiffany (Google Employee)
September 2015

Re: Location & call Extensions on Mobiles

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hi Stickleback,

Also, according to this support article.  If allowed by the user:

"However, on the mobile version of Google.com -- m.google.com -- and in some mobile applications, location may also be based on more precise location signals derived from cell tower IDs, Wi-Fi, or GPS."

Further documentation that may be of use:

http://support.google.com/adwords/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=2404180&from=144629&rd=1

"On mobile devices with full Internet browsers, such as the iPhone and Android devices, ads with location extensions can appear on the mobile Google Search and Display Networks as well as Google Maps for mobile. The ads will appear as mobile text ads with options to Get Directions or click to call your business."

-Tom

Tommy Sands, AdWords Top Contributor | Community Profile | Twitter | Philly Marketing Labs
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’

View solution in original post

Re: IP allocation for mobile users on 3G cellular network

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hello stickleback;

I checked again with a cellular technology expert.

3G cellular providers do assign IP address for 3G mobile service,

A practice known as NAT is, occasionally ,carried out, to save allocation of IP addresses. If utilized, a mobile user would be identified, when accessing the internet (through his mobile device), by cookies or OpenID.

I have found you a discussion on that in superuser website.

-Moshe

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Tiffany (Google Employee)
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hi Stickleback,

Also, according to this support article.  If allowed by the user:

"However, on the mobile version of Google.com -- m.google.com -- and in some mobile applications, location may also be based on more precise location signals derived from cell tower IDs, Wi-Fi, or GPS."

Further documentation that may be of use:

http://support.google.com/adwords/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=2404180&from=144629&rd=1

"On mobile devices with full Internet browsers, such as the iPhone and Android devices, ads with location extensions can appear on the mobile Google Search and Display Networks as well as Google Maps for mobile. The ads will appear as mobile text ads with options to Get Directions or click to call your business."

-Tom

Tommy Sands, AdWords Top Contributor | Community Profile | Twitter | Philly Marketing Labs
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Thanks for the replies guys... I'll check out these links as this is contrary to what I was reading on other threads - but is really good news!