AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
2.4K members online now
2.4K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

Location Targeting

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I'm in the process of launching a new account and my client wants to run a local targeting campaign as well as a national campaign.  Is it a good idea or not to have the same keywords in the geo-targeted campaign AND the national campaign?  If the same keywords exist in different campaigns, will the geo-targeted keywords take priority and show those ads 1st over the national campaign?

Also, should I include geo-modifier terms within the geo-targeted campaign or will we be covered since we are setting up a specific region?

Thanks,

Nikki

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Alys (Google Employee)
September 2015

Re: Location Targeting

Collaborator ✭ ☆ ☆
# 2
Collaborator ✭ ☆ ☆

hi battlesedge,

You can have the same keywords in these campaigns and then use your location exclusions to prevent overlapping of the campaigs.

For your national campaign you can select country and then exclude the city.

In your local campaign you just need to target the city

Bear in mind you cannot do radius exclusions at this time.

In your local campaign I would recommend adding the geo terms in as well as this help increase the relevancy and should benefit your campaign.

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Alys (Google Employee)
September 2015

Collaborator ✭ ☆ ☆
# 2
Collaborator ✭ ☆ ☆

hi battlesedge,

You can have the same keywords in these campaigns and then use your location exclusions to prevent overlapping of the campaigs.

For your national campaign you can select country and then exclude the city.

In your local campaign you just need to target the city

Bear in mind you cannot do radius exclusions at this time.

In your local campaign I would recommend adding the geo terms in as well as this help increase the relevancy and should benefit your campaign.

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

hi battlesedge,

I would agree with purefuzz on the targeting and exclusion of areas so your campaigns do not overlap.

But, in many cases, when you add geo terms to your keywords you will end up with "Low Search Volume". This warning does not mean that if someone were to search with your exact phrase your ad will be eligible to show (from that keyword). It does mean your ad will not show unless a lot of people start searching using that phrase.

Let's say you're a landscaping service in Montgomery, Alabama and your keywords are:

+landscaping +services

+landscaping +services +Montgomery +Alabama

First, it's likely the second keyword will show a status of "Low Search Volume". Second a query of "landscaping services in Montgomery Alabama" would likely trigger your ad through the first keyword anyway.

Part of geo-targeting allows your keywords to trigger when geo-terms are included in the query. even for exact match keywords.

Just one man's perspective.

Best of Luck!

Pete

petebardo -- Deadhead doing AdWords