AdWords
4.8K members online now
4.8K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

Location Target Users Interested in My State But Not Living in My State

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I'm seeing a lot of questionable clicks from my home state, where I have several competitors. Although people recognize my product by searching for it using keywords of state and product name, 99 percent of my customers are from outside my state. Put another way, I'm very interested in search intent that names my state but I am not interested in clicks from anyone living in my state. 

The location option verbage is legalistic in its specificity and difficult to parse. I see the following three options and am assuming #1 is the best:

1. Target my location (my state) as a location and choose "People searching for or viewing pages about my targeted location" as opposed to "People in, searching for, or viewing pages about my targeted location" (I don't want to advertise to people in my state).

2. Target my location (my state) as a location and choose "People searching for or viewing pages about my targeted location", exclude the cities in my state that I don't want clicks from, and  exclude "People in my excluded location".

3. Target the United States, exclude my state, and choose the following options: "People in, searching for, or viewing pages about my targeted location" and exclude "People in my excluded location". 

I'm assuming that #3 is the worst choice as it eliminates state-specific search intent.

Please let me know if there are flaws in my logic or understanding. 

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Zee (Community Manager)
September 2015

Re: Location Target Users Interested in My State But Not Living in My State

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hello cleverlemming; welcome;

You rearranged the "advanced location options". I am listing them back as they are shown in the campaign settings;

You have 3 options:

• People in, searching for, or viewing pages about your targeted location (default)
  • People in your targeted location
  • People searching for or viewing pages about your targeted location

You need to choose the 3rd one.

In your question you chose # 1 which include people who are physically in your state - and that, I understand - you don't want;

The last option you suggested is a nice "work arround", but not needed, because option #3 on the settings will get you the same result

-Moshe

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Zee (Community Manager)
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hello cleverlemming; welcome;

You rearranged the "advanced location options". I am listing them back as they are shown in the campaign settings;

You have 3 options:

• People in, searching for, or viewing pages about your targeted location (default)
  • People in your targeted location
  • People searching for or viewing pages about your targeted location

You need to choose the 3rd one.

In your question you chose # 1 which include people who are physically in your state - and that, I understand - you don't want;

The last option you suggested is a nice "work arround", but not needed, because option #3 on the settings will get you the same result

-Moshe

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Great, thank you for your prompt answer.