AdWords
1.7K members online now
1.7K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

Location Extensions Effecting Ads?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I have a single AdWords account set up for 4 different markets. Each market has its own campaigns and is targeted to each specific market. Recently Google made a change to their Location settings (at least that's what a CS Rep told me) and now I am seeing ads for one state while I'm searching in another. My first thought is that my Google Business Places account, which also contains all markets, is tied to the locations extensions piece of AdWords and pulling the highest performin ads in the account to any keyword. Any thoughts on this or has anyone had a similar issue recently? 

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Location Extensions Effecting Ads?

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Walt, in the campaign settings, what does it say under "location options (advanced)"? If you want to be sure that your ad shows only to people who are actually in the location you are targeting (as opposed to people who are searching for, or viewing pages about your targeted location, set this to "People in my targeted location".

I do not think your location extensions should cause any problems when the above setting is set correctly, but you can always make sure only the right location from Places is shown in your campaign by using a filter (Business name="Walt Inc. NY"). Hope that helps!

Re: Location Extensions Effecting Ads?

Google Employee
# 3
Google Employee
Hi Walt,

Location extensions do not have any impact on where your ad serves. Rather, the location extension that is chosen from your Google places account depends on the area in which your ad is serving.

As far as location targeting goes - by default, your campaigns serve ads to anyone located in your targeted location and to anyone searching for your targeted location (even if they're not located in the targeted area). You can change this and restrict serving based on physical location only from the 'Location options (advanced)' section of your campaign settings as Ivan mentioned.

Steps for this: https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/1722038?hl=en

For further details specific to your account, do contact support.

We hope this helps.

Sincerely,

RR