AdWords
1.8K members online now
1.8K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

Location Extension: Where Are The Stars?

Badged Google Partner
# 1
Badged Google Partner

Hi, we have several clients with lots of reviews in their Google Business Listing. When connected to AdWords as a Location Extension this was showing the STARS based on reviews. But the STARS seem to have disappeared recently and our clients are asking about this. Has Google officially dropped the STARS? Or do you need to do something to the listing for the STARS to show?

3 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Location Extension: Where Are The Stars?

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

@sharepower

Well... I think there is a confusion here;
The "stars" on AdWords are seller rating, which is partially based on Google reviews
The reviews on Google my business are customer reviews. This is a different grading  rating system.
Google might add reviews based on "my business" into location extension. But, similar to seller rating,  you have no control when this rating (aka "stars")  is being added to the extension.

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Badged Google Partner
# 3
Badged Google Partner
@MosheTLV
No confusion here, that is exactly what I was saying. We had often seen stars for the location extensions, which I know is totally separate to Seller Ratings. But those stars do not seem to appear any more, at all.

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor
Similar to seller rating, Google does not disclose the rating algorithm used to grade the business, based on which the rating is shown or not.
It could be that your score has fallen, hence no stars are shown.
Have you collected enough reviews during the last 12 months?
Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Rising Star
# 5
Rising Star
I know its been awhile on this post - but I can't find any examples of US location extensions with star ratings (as opposed to Seller Ratings).

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

@Phillip B;

>>"....ratings from your Google My Business listings are eligible to appear in ads with location extensions enabled on desktop and tablet.

https://plus.google.com/+GoogleAds/posts/Sud4h3jvZFX

Rising Star
# 7
Rising Star
Thanks @MosheTLV - that post is what prompted my question - and it has apparently silently been suspended.

Had a long chat yesterday with several folks at AdWords support - (unofficial - 'wink wink nod nod') is that while they are still "eligible" they have been essentially replaced by the open/closed + hours addition to the location extensions. They might appear in *very rare* circumstances, but if you have indicated your business hours on you GMB profile you won't get review stars anymore. Subject to undocumented and unannounced future changes as always.

Top Contributor
# 8
Top Contributor

@Phillip B;

Interesting...

Usually these kind of changes are  followed by an update to the help center documentation, with a revised (nonspecific / general) language of the documenting: Something along the lines of:  "Google might show, based on campaign performances,  the GMB score..."

Top Contributor
# 9
Top Contributor
"Locations extensions can show the following information about your business address:

Business hours (including holiday hours)
Google reviews and ratings for your location
Phone number

Google will automatically pick the best information to be shown to users in the ad."

[ Edited ]
Rising Star
# 10
Rising Star

What I DON'T see is any examples in the wild in actual search results. I actually have some screen shots of listings that had star ratings, but now only show Business Hours and Phone Numbers. No Google reviews or ratings. I've done a large number of searches - including via anonymous proxied searches to various US locales - and reviews and ratings are no longer showing up. It may be a test. It may be a conspiracy. It may be the new normal.

Does anyone else see Google reviews/ratings still appearing in desktop location extensions ads?