AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
1.7K members online now
1.7K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

Location Extension Proximity vs. Campaign / Ad Group Setting

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi all,

I have linked my AdWords account with our business Places account. When I create a new Ad I see that we have all six business centers listed, so I choose the appropriate one from the list. Below that, a new choice comes up asking me to "Target location within: " and the recommended radius is 40km.

I always set it to 150km (the max), but I am now starting to wonder - target what?

Is that option overriding my Campaign setting to target the ad in a specific region? Is it now just showing the ad if people are within 150km of the listed address?

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Eastern C
September 2015

Re: Location Extension Proximity vs. Campaign / Ad Group Setting

Google Employee
# 2
Google Employee

Hi Eastern,

It sounds like you're talking about two things here. The first is Location Extensions which display your local business information below your ad. Location extensions can appear if we detect that the customer is located near your targeted location, or if we detect location-specific terms in her search.

The other thing you refer to is Location Based Radius TargetingRadius targeting (also known as proximity targeting or "Target a radius") allows you to choose to show your ads to customers within a certain distance from your business, rather than choosing individual cities, regions, or countries. It sounds like this is what you have set up. 

You could have location extensions enabled and target the whole world without interference from the location extension. It is the location targeting that will determine where your ad shows, not the extension.

I hope that helps clarify your situation. Let us know if you have any questions. 

-Hannah

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Eastern C
September 2015

Google Employee
# 2
Google Employee

Hi Eastern,

It sounds like you're talking about two things here. The first is Location Extensions which display your local business information below your ad. Location extensions can appear if we detect that the customer is located near your targeted location, or if we detect location-specific terms in her search.

The other thing you refer to is Location Based Radius TargetingRadius targeting (also known as proximity targeting or "Target a radius") allows you to choose to show your ads to customers within a certain distance from your business, rather than choosing individual cities, regions, or countries. It sounds like this is what you have set up. 

You could have location extensions enabled and target the whole world without interference from the location extension. It is the location targeting that will determine where your ad shows, not the extension.

I hope that helps clarify your situation. Let us know if you have any questions. 

-Hannah

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks Hannah,

My name is Rob. Yes, I'm referring to my location extensions. When I choose a specific location extension while creating or editing an Ad, it asks me what radius I would like to target.

The campaigns themselves have been set up to target specific Canadian provinces. I wanted to make sure that the 'radius targeting' that I was setting (e.g. 40km, 80km, 150km...) wasn't somehow overriding the actual campaign settings to display my ads to anyone searching within a targeted province. Basically - I wanted to confirm that I wasn't decreasing the scope of where my ad was being shown.

So just to clarify: the ad extension only gets shown if Google detects that the user is within whichever radius I choose when editing the ad? Otherwise it's the same ad without the location extensions?

Google Employee
# 4
Google Employee

Hi Rob!

That is correct, your location target radius will be set at Campaign level so adding a location extension won't affect where your ads are targeted.

The idea with location extensions is to add value to ads, not only based on where the customer is in relation to the address of your location, but also based on what their search term is. So, to answer your question, the extension will only show to people within your radius depending on their proximity to the location, and/or their search term. Otherwise, your ad will show as normal, without the extension. 

Let us know if you have any more questions, 

Hannah

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Wonderful. Thanks for the timely and informative responses.