AdWords
2.5K members online now
2.5K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

Location Based Ad Customizers and Javascript targetedLocations

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

I'm trying to use an AdWords script to pull out all targeted locations and create a Google Doc that can be used as the data source for a Location Based Ad Customizer. So that I can insert location names into the ads.

My first stumbling block is that the targetedLocations() function only returns a simple name for the location, not it's fully qualified address, which I presume is needed for the "Target location" column of my Ad Customizer data source.

Any help would be appreciated.

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Tony McCreath
May 2017

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

Someone sent me a screenshot with a localised ad, confirming it works.

I've also noticed a 10% increase in CTRs for localised ads. 

All looking good.

View solution in original post

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi Tony,

Not sure if this is helpful from the script perspective but in using this weather bidding script in the past, there is some helpful info on ensuring that the proper location codes are being used.

https://developers.google.com/adwords/scripts/docs/solutions/weather-based-campaign-management

There is an additional link off to this page which is searchable for specific location info/details.

Hope this helps!

-Tommy

Tommy Sands, AdWords Top Contributor | Community Profile | Twitter | Philly Marketing Labs
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks, I'll have a look into it.

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks for that. It got me looking in the right direction. I found this page that contains a download of what looks like exactly what I need:

https://developers.google.com/adwords/api/docs/appendix/geotargeting

I changed the Canonical Name column to Target location, uploaded it with the name Locations and created an ad including {=Locations.Name}

It should match a users location and insert the short name into the ad.

Just waiting on approval so I can test if it works.

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

I think that was the link I was considering as might be helpful to you.  Hope it all works out for you!

-Tommy

Tommy Sands, AdWords Top Contributor | Community Profile | Twitter | Philly Marketing Labs
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

Things seem to be working, but I can;t manage to prove it by seeing an ad with a location in it.

I'm seeing impressions for the ads, and I'm seeing impressions for the locations in the data set. Just not seeing any of the ads I'm hoping for.

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Tony McCreath
May 2017

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

Someone sent me a screenshot with a localised ad, confirming it works.

I've also noticed a 10% increase in CTRs for localised ads. 

All looking good.