AdWords
2.7K members online now
2.7K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

Local food door to door delivery seeks a new AdWords advertising strategy

Zee Community Manager
Community Manager
# 1
Zee Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi all,

Yet another week has passed and we'd like to continue with our attempt to help local businesses to succeed in online advertising with AdWords. Last time we’ve talked about Bob’s advertising on the search and display networks. 

Today, we’d like you to help Marty, an owner of a small organic food business that delivers fresh fruit and veg door to door, with a solid advertising strategy. Marty partners with local farmers in California, and he'd like to target a local customers interested in organic fresh food delivered to their doorstep. He offers three different box sizes, and the products are picked based on seasonality. His ordering system is based on online sign-up process. His AdWords account is very basic and his conversions are not very high. 

How can we together improve Marty's advertising strategy during this winter season?

Zee
G+
1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Local food door to door delivery seeks a new AdWords advertising strategy

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi Marty (thanks Zee),

I always think that when you're looking at local customers the key to success is in building a loyal customer base that will come back to you time and time again.  Even in the most crowded city, if you don't build your repeat customers evenutally you'll run out of people to sell to!

Building such a customer base is largely about your website - how easy you make it to buy a second time, not just the first, for example, but it can also be about how you attract people to your site in the first place.  Consider who might want fresh food delivered then look at which group (or groups) among these people are most likely to order more than once.  If you can identify such a group it's worth trying to target them specifically with Adwords and have a custom landing page that explains the benefits (quickly and simply) of buying regularly.  Perhaps it'll be a monthly bonus, or you could offer some sort of subscription/club membership.

Quite apart from this, if you're seeing poor conversion rates this is usually the result of one of the following:

1. Poor relevance.  Either at the keyword, Ad or website level.  Either the people clicking on your Ads weren't looking for what your business does, or they were misled (or mis-read) your Ads or when they got to your site it didn't fulfil the promise of the Ad(s).
  2. Difficulty in buying.  A distressing number of websites still make it far too hard to purchase with long checkout procedures and endless forms and options.  Buying online has to be quick and easy or customers will go somewhere else where it is.
  3. Poor pricing.  Probably the simplest of them all.  If a product or service seems too expensive then the customer will go elsewhere.

We could give some more advice if you could let us know your website URL.

In the meantime have a think and get back to us with any specific questions or worries.

Jon

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits

Zee Community Manager
Community Manager
# 3
Zee Community Manager
Community Manager

Jon gave us great tips what is important for any small or medium business owner to succeed in the business acumen we live in these days. However, as he pointed out, the loyal client or customer base is the king.

Thanks for that, Jon!

Zee
G+

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

An email sign is a great way to build up your database for internal remarketing. I would advise that Marty creates separate remarketing lists and uses keywords to contextualise this further, for example showing an ad for a "taster box" for a user that has signed up but not yet purchased on a food recipe site. Or remarketing to customers who have bought products with coupons for referring their friends!

[ Edited ]
Sq
Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆
# 5
Sq
Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆

Hello,

My first suggestion would be to target YouTube with a video campaign. A quick example of order from the site, an animated delivery truck dropping fresh produce at the doorstep of your customer. Very affordable and you may want to target words like "healthy foods" - "dieting" - "recipe" assuming the people who see your instream-ad are going to be buying your produce from another shop at somepoint.

However I can appreicate this thread is for a local targeting using the usual adwords marketing.

Display

• Gmail - target people in your local area talking about buying fruit and vegetables or if you like taking risks, maybe bid on words found in the usual supermarket mailshots [mail.google.com::Inbox,Top center & mail.google.com]
  • Maps - target people looking for local takeaways or grocery shops [maps.google.com]

Re-Marketing

• Offer something free (i.e delivery) to make initial conversions and remarket to these converted users to encourage a second order.
  • Use google re-marketing tools to encourage people who have visited your page to return. I love re-marketing and if you could have just a few images of your organic fruit it could bring loads of people back to make their first order

Recipes

• Why not find some tasty fruit juice recipes and sell the mix of fruits as opposed to allowing a user to pick what they want. I think this could be a great idea as I would love to buy items for a recipe as opposed to not buying enough of each fruit ruining my custom fruit shake/drink

Search Network

• Target people in your physical location with modified broad keywords on one campaign and use phrase/exact match on another campaign (physical and search intent) for performing keywords.
  • Block all the keywords from phrase/exact campaign from the modified broad to ensure it does not capture triggors you already know will perform well
  • I use these double campaign strategy for all my local clients - it works!

Know Your Customer

I am from the UK and I have never typed in a search to buy fruit or buy vegetables. I have however searched for juicers and not thought twice about the fruit I need to mix in to it. This is why the above response is geared towards targeting what people do with the fruit/veg as opposed to attemting to convert at the buying stage. I can appreciate your CTR might drop when trying my strategy however the quality of customer clicking could be just as good as people looking to "buy fruit" as you will be attmepting to solve a future search as opposed to a current one.

Hope this makes sense

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

Hi Sq, some great marketing ideas in there but I would just raise one small point...  While YouTube has great potential, creating a video ad is probably not the best way to start with a small business.  I wouldn't recommend using actual video unless you can be certain of creating good content and that really means a professional production.  A very short, simple video won't cost the earth, but it'll cost a lot more than simple text or "static" image Ads and the cost of such a production could be ploughed into Adwords to get the ball rolling.  Of course you could always use a simple text Ad overlay...

I'm not saying it's not a valid approach, just perhaps one I'd suggest for later as the business grows and sees some positive returns from their earlier, more straightforward campaigns.

Jon

Sq
Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆
# 7
Sq
Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆

Cobnut,

I agree with you.

Developing videos can be quite costly. The reason I mentioned this is due to video advertising probably being the least competitive or most affordable (Avg CPV 0.03 - 0.17 pence) network I know of on AdWords. My brief idea was to spend more money upfront on video but then take advantage of low cost marketing.

Many of my clients have created videos using Go Animate to get started - very affordable and 'cool' videos.

However - as mentioned above, maybe this idea is better suited for re-investment.

Top Contributor
# 8
Top Contributor

Hi Sq, I thought that might be the case.  It's a tricky question:  Go in hard and high and hope it works or build slowly and hope it does build.  The answer would almost always depend upon the product/market and the available budget.

Thanks for that link, I'll have a play with that when I've got a free moment.  Probably not till the New Year now though, I've got to spend the next few hours remembering how to tie a bow...

J

[ Edited ]
Zee Community Manager
Community Manager
# 9
Zee Community Manager
Community Manager

Thank you all for your great ideas.

Zee
G+