AdWords
2.3K members online now
2.3K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

Local ads using one city name are defaulting to another area

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I have locally running ads with city names in the keywords. All of them work fine except one defaults to another town with the same name outside the area. The towns are spelled exactly the same. Both have an apostrophe. If an apostrophe is used the ads default to O'Fallon, MO and says ads aren't showing because the search is outside my area. If there is not apostrophe or a space used it defaults to O'Fallon, IL and the ads are shown. Has anyone that has used city names in keywords had a similar experience?

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author doug_c
September 2015

Re: Local ads using one city name are defaulting to another area

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hello;

I think that the system ignores apostrophe;

Switch from the default "People in, searching for, or viewing pages about your targeted location" to "People in your targeted location". By using this setting, you will target only users who are physically located within your targeted area.

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

View solution in original post

WSJ
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
WSJ
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Remove the location from your targetting and if that does not work call Adwords support : ]

http://support.google.com/adwords/answer/1722040?hl=en

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author doug_c
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hello;

I think that the system ignores apostrophe;

Switch from the default "People in, searching for, or viewing pages about your targeted location" to "People in your targeted location". By using this setting, you will target only users who are physically located within your targeted area.

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks for the answers. I think the apostrophe is treated as a space. I talked to support. It still defaults to the other town when not using an apostrophe. The good news is changing the exclude setting did work. I thought I had tried that before but I guess not.