AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
1.9K members online now
1.9K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

Linking an AdWords ad to another company

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Suppose a publication, say the  NY Times, had run a general article discusing the general business that I'm in and they made favorable comment about my company, even including a link to it. Would there be  any problem in me running an AdWords campaign that captured searches that were looking for information on my area of business and having the destination URL be this artticle in the NTY Times?

Thanks

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by RachelM (Google Employee)
September 2015

Re: Linking an AdWords ad to another company

Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆
# 2
Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi Stevea

I'm not sure of the legalities behind this but you technically could do this. I don't think Google would have any problems but the NYT might do as you would have to use their display URL etc. so would effectively be passing yourself off as them.

I would steer against doing this.

Would it not be more beneficial for you to create a page on your site that references/links to the article so you can track, provide more information, ease to book/sign up etc. your product. You will be able to track performance on site and who clicks and reads the article etc.

If you send traffic to them you'll have no analytics on performance and could just be wasting money.

Hope that helps.

Cheers

Kane

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by RachelM (Google Employee)
September 2015

Re: Linking an AdWords ad to another company

Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆
# 2
Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi Stevea

I'm not sure of the legalities behind this but you technically could do this. I don't think Google would have any problems but the NYT might do as you would have to use their display URL etc. so would effectively be passing yourself off as them.

I would steer against doing this.

Would it not be more beneficial for you to create a page on your site that references/links to the article so you can track, provide more information, ease to book/sign up etc. your product. You will be able to track performance on site and who clicks and reads the article etc.

If you send traffic to them you'll have no analytics on performance and could just be wasting money.

Hope that helps.

Cheers

Kane

Re: Landing page / destination URL owned by other entity

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

stevea;

Good question!

I think that the Policy that applies to affiliate (a landing page that you do not own) applies here.

Having said that, I would go with the advice you got from kanobart, to create a reference to the article,  or to include  a picture of the article,  on YOUR landing page.

-Moshe

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 4
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Thanks for the responses. Yes I could put a link on my page to the article, but the other way around seem to work better.  I  think people would click a link to the New York Times to get the answer to a question before they would click a link to my site that they've never heard of. And if the NY times article sends them to me I still get the visit and now they come favorably inclined.

I don't see why the NY Times would mind.  The article I woould send people to has all kinds of enticements and links to keep people on the NY Times property once they land there, so the NY Times will benefit.

I tried to find some guidance in Google's affiliate rules, but all I found was a warning that Google would only put up one ad in a SERP for a single domain.  So if the NY times, or an affiliate of the NY times doing the same thing I'm doing,  has an ad that would trigger, Google will have to choose which one to run.

If someone can find something more specific in affiliate rules, or any Google rules, on  this I'd be greatful. Or if anyone has any other ideas, please post.

Thanks

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 5
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi Kane,

I wanted to post a response directly to your post.  You say

"If you send traffic to them you'll have no analytics on performance and could just be wasting money."

Actually, it seems that I would see in the clicks for that ad how many people I was sending to the site. And in Analytics I would see how many visits I got that were referred from  that source.

Yes?  No?

Steve

Badged Google Partner
# 6
Badged Google Partner

I wouldn't try this captain....

Affiliate stuff aside (you are not an affiliate in this case), your display URL has to match the destination URL, and having the NYT as the display URL seems to be a clear violation of Google's trademark policies. 

"I  think people would..." There's yer problem. Don't think, know. There is obviously some interest in the topic/service/product of your site. If you are going to advertise that site, you want the traffic to go to the site. Not to the NYT, or any other site.

You show an ad, a user says "that's exactly what I'm looking for" and clicks on it. Instead of going to the source (which in this case I would argue is your site, not the article noting your site) you would be re-directing the user to a third party. You just added another step the user must take to eventually engage with your site, which is the ultimate goal.

There are other display network placements, such as the Huff. post for example, that may pick up the NYT story, and that can show an ad for your company using adwords, as a display partner. If you can find those sites, then you could show an ad for your company, the company favorably cited in the article, right next to the article as the user is reading. Rather than spend your money to try and direct traffic to a third party, who may hold you liable for your actions in one way or the other, spend the money where and when your target market is ready to engage directly with your site.

Here's another potential pitfall: The NYT's advertisiements on site are all done in house. You have to advertise with the NYT to show an ad on their site. So, you spend your moeny to get an engaged user to the NYT article about your business, then, they click on a competitors ad on site, and spend their money with the competition. You just spent X to help your competitors run you out of business.

It's all about closing the sales loop. Any time you add to that loop, you have another possible point of user abandonment, and you lose whatever valuable market research data you could be getting from traffic on site.

Tom

Badged Google Partner
# 7
Badged Google Partner

Yes, on both counts.

You will see clicks in the UI, and referall visits in the analytics. Clicks are not visits of course, but you cannot in that case verify that ANY of the clicks you sent to the NYT, resulted in any referall visits from the NYT. You can assume, but you won't have any way to know.

Tom

Top Contributor
# 8
Top Contributor

@Tom Jr.

I was thinking about that, but not sure if NYT is a trade-name. If it is a trade-name, he could apply to use it, I don't think this the issue he should worry about. (Eventually, because, it brings exposure to a NYT piece)

I did not say that the policy is identical to affiliate, but should be similar: in both cases the landing page is not owned by the advertiser.

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

[ Edited ]
Badged Google Partner
# 9
Badged Google Partner

I shouldn't have even mentioned affiliates, because I still don't understand all that stuff. Smiley Happy 

In general, my concern is the advertiser here. I know we're supposed to answer the question asked, and the question was whether this could be done or not. Seems like yes, you could at least try to and find out...

BUT - "Would there be  any problem..." is pretty open ended. Yes, there absolutely could be problems. Matbe I'm just paranoid, but in this specific case, I see so many potential "problems" (as I define it, in my mind), that I would not want to encourage this approach in any way.

Sorry to be the nay sayer here, but the overall goal still seems to be getting traffic to the site. Sending traffic to another site, doesn't meet that goal. At least not directly. This advertiser is still at a point where they don't yet know what the interest, outside of the NYT article, and the market for their business may actually be. At this point, it is an "I think" situation, why think about anything, when adwords, and PPC advertising is the most effective market research tool available to know what your target market finds engaging.

The NYT, as a newspaper, cannot track that information, and provide the market research about the audience. Their site can through analytics tracking, and their advertising program can provide demo., etc. data as well. But, the advertiser, in this case, will get none of those benefits for whatever amount of money they are paying in adwords advertising costs, because all the data belongs to the NYT. It's your data, you paid for it, why not keep it for yourself?

Once those costs start adding up, if the numbers don't work out the way the advertiser hoped, thought, or wanted them to, then they won't be happy with adwords, and will not find PPC advertsing effective. Right now stevea sees the value of the referall traffic, and the positive brand exposure. How could we help convince stevea that the adwords and analytics traffic and data can be as, if not far more valuable than the current sources?

That wasn't the question asked though. Smiley Happy

Tom

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 10
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

So,  two issues have come up:  1) Does this break any rules at Google or the NYT?  2)Is it a smart use of AdWords?

On the first, Google's concern seems to be that if you use company A's trademark in your ad, the landing page has to sell company A's products.  You can't  hang someone else's trademark out to sell your own products. (See http://support.google.com/adwordspolicy/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=145626. ) I think I'm ok here.  The ad sends people directly to the NYT site, where only NYT products are available.  I can certainly bounce this idea off of the NYT, though I don't know why they would object to receiving more customers.  And if they don't object ,Google shouldn't.

Tom, on  whether this is a good use of AdWords,  you say,

"This advertiser is still at a point where they don't yet know what the interest, outside of the NYT article"

Not true. We undertand very well what our market is outside the NYT article.  We have a mature AdWords campaign that advertises our product and sends people directly to our site - just the way you recommend that AdWords be used. What I'm proposing here is in addition to that.  We notice in Analytics that a lot of people come to our site by clicking the link that is in this NYT article and these visitors have a high conversion rate. Since good things happen for us when people read this article we just want to help people find it.  There are a lot of searches on Google for which this article is the perfect answer so we're also helping those Google searchers.   Whether the idea makes money for us or not depends on how many article readers click our link.We don't know that now since we have no analytics running on the NYT page.   If we have to spend $2000 to get 1000 people to read the article but only 5 click to us, even if they all converted we wouldn't get back our $2000.   We just have to run and see what happens.  Do our conversions from the NYT source go up enough to pay for the clicks? If yes it's a good idea.  If no it's a bad idea.

Tom, you raised the possibility that customers might find our competitors in the article, but they're not there.  A competitor could buy a space next to the article but that's not as powerful as being mentioned in the article, so we're willing to take our chances.

Steve