AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
2.8K members online now
2.8K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

Linking Analytics/AdWords without Client Involvement

Top Contributor
# 1
Top Contributor

The procedure for linking an Analytics account to an AdWords account isn't difficult for a professional manager. It is however difficult for a client to achieve. We have had instances where it has taken a dozen emails backwards and forwards - so we prefer to do it ourselves, because we are managing their accounts.

But here's the thing - we can't create any new Gmail accounts because we have reached the limit for all the phone numbers we have. 

While I am sure that Google prefers us to link Analytics and AdWords (enable remarketing, track eCommerce sales etc), it seems that from an agency point of view it is overly difficult.

(Easy for a DIY advertiser who uses one gmail account for one AdWords account)

Is there a solution for agencies? 

Otherwise we have the very unprofessional situation of asking a client to create a Gmail account for us, include their phone number in the setup process, verify the account using their phone, and then handover the login details to us. Some struggle to believe we can't do it ourselves. 

Surely Google could whitelist phone numbers used by agencies that are Google Partners?

2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Linking Analytics/AdWords without Client Involvement

Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star

@RobSkelton

I'm a bit confused why you need a phone number for a gmail account. I have never had to give a phone number when setting up a gmail account, and the last time I set one up was 2 or 3 months ago.

Also, why do you need a gmail account to link Analytics?  Ideally, you should be using the same account that is used for Adwords. It makes things simple, and it is the best for the client.

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor
Hi David,

1. Google regularly requires phone verification for new Gmail accounts, especially when your IP address has created quite a few. It is a major headache for our agency with 200 people in one office.

2. We create new AdWords accounts within our MCC. This does not require a unique admin Gmail. We could elect to create new accopunts with a new Gmail address, but then the same problem arises, we can't create new Gmail addresses.

Rising Star
# 4
Rising Star

@RobSkelton

That all makes sense now, thanks.

We've created a few in the MCC without an account, but usually the ones we get a hold of are preexisting.
On that note, you don't have to use gmail. There are other free email services out there that can be used. On the account setup page you can select "I prefer to use my current email address."

I agree it would be nice to keep it all under Google, and that an exception should be made in your scenario. You're doing the right thing by the client by creating new accounts for them.

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor
Hi David,

Good idea using a non-Gmail account.

I tried setting up a new AdWords account, outside of our MCC, with a new Hotmail address.

1. Still had to create a Google account. It didn't require phone verification. GOOD
2. I was required to create mu first campaign using a dumbed-down interface. I just filled it with nonsense and planned to immediately delete it . NOT GOOD
3. Then I had to enter billing. No way around it. BAD

Unfortunately we will have to stick with the MCC. We don't even ask clients for their billing details until they have approved of the account build.

CONCLUSION - Google needs to offer a better system for agencies to on board new clients into the Google marketing space.

Rising Star
# 6
Rising Star

@RobSkelton

Before you start the dumbed-down process there should be a link saying something to the effect that it's for advanced users.  Clicking that will bypass what you experienced, and it should be more familiar including no forced billing.

I know it's still not optimal.

The only other thing I can think of as a short-term fix is a VPN. There are a lot of services out there for $10-$20/month that will give you 100s of locations and IPs to choose from.  

With an agency your size, do you not have some sort of dedicated support to seek help from?