AdWords
2.3K members online now
2.3K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

Linking Adwords Campaign and Conversions

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Good morning all. I am extremely new to the Google Adwords Campaign. So forgive my ignorance in advance.

I am a new Adwords Campaign user and have a few questions about it.

1) When inserting the code on my conversion page, how does the code know when someone is converting from an ad campaign? Is a cookie placed on the users machine when they click thru one of my ads?

2) Is there a way to link Ad Campaigns to conversions? I would like to run multiple ad campaigns at one. But how do I place the code on my conversion page and how does the code know which conversion to report on?

Thanks for your help!

Greggory

2 Expert replyverified_user
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author DBlurton
September 2015

Re: Linking Adwords Campaign and Conversions

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hello Greggory,

Welcome to the forum Smiley Happy

You are right in your thinking that a cookie is placed when someone clicks your ad and reaches your website and take further actions. Hence when someone reaches a goal completion page i.e. either some form submission or purchase online, conversion is updated inside your Adwords account.

Yes, you do get the data of conversion starting from campaign to the core keyword level as to which keyword draw that conversion for you.

To understand more on this concept which is highly recommended for all Adwords users to use this (i.e. conversion tracking script), I would encourage you to read these 2 interesting help center articles.

http://support.google.com/adwords/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=1722022

http://support.google.com/adwords/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=1722054

Let us know if that helps!

Pankaj

Re: Linking Adwords Campaign and Conversions

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Pankaj,

Thanks for your reply. I will have a look and see what I can find out more about. Smiley Very Happy

Greggory

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Pankaj

Further to previous questions from DBlurton, I have the similar questions and can't find out explicit answers from your links.  

1) When inserting the code on thankyou page, will the page differentiate user comes from an ad campaign or from organic search/facebook... since everyone after registration will go to thankyou page. 

2) Should conversions link to Ad Campaigns? Yes or No? How does the conversion code knows which campaigns / ad groups that direct to the same thankyou page with the same conversion code if not linked to any campaigns / ad groups?

Thank you very much in advance.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi everyone, did we get to the bottom of this, specifically if I have 5 sources all going to one sign up page, once I have the sign up details and the user goes through to the thank you page, does the conversion tracking know where everybody came from?

Thanks

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

This thread has been closed to new replies.

If you have a new or unanswered question related to this topic, please start a new thread and post a clear, specific and detailed question that describes your particular situation. It's always best to start your own thread versus making comments to random threads, even if your issue seems related.

To start a new thread, please go to the top level of the Community, and from there, click on the board that is most closely related to your question. After that, you can click on the pink "+" sign in the lower right corner of the screen to start a new topic. Making your new thread is fast, easy and allows more specific help directly to you (and not all of the other members in the old thread).

Thank you.