AdWords
1.6K members online now
1.6K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

Limiting the Frequency in Search Network

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi,

I would like to limit the frequency of my search network to one ad per user, I don't want returning visitors to my webpage. Is that possible? Thank you.

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author David M
September 2015

Re: Limiting the Frequency in Search Network

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi David, no, unfortunately not.  You can limit impressions on the Display network, but not Search.

Can I ask why you'd want to do this?

Jon

Added

Before someone else says it, yes, I suppose technically you could collect IP addresses of visitors then add them to a steadily growing list of IP Exclusions but a) you'd have to think about dynamic allocations and b) you can only exclude 500 addresses per Campaign and c) you've have to either be doing this constantly manually or find some way to automate it.

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author David M
September 2015

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi David, no, unfortunately not.  You can limit impressions on the Display network, but not Search.

Can I ask why you'd want to do this?

Jon

Added

Before someone else says it, yes, I suppose technically you could collect IP addresses of visitors then add them to a steadily growing list of IP Exclusions but a) you'd have to think about dynamic allocations and b) you can only exclude 500 addresses per Campaign and c) you've have to either be doing this constantly manually or find some way to automate it.

[ Edited ]
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 3
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi Cobnut,

Thank you very much to confirm it and for the trick, unfortunately is not a good solution for me because I have more than 500 clicks per day.

The reason is because I only want new users, is a easy product to download and install, so, if they don't install the first time, neither the second, third ... As well, I don't want people downloading the product more than one time.

Is possible to filter by people who haven't converted yet?

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hi David, have you checked your funnels in AdWords/Analytics?  It's actually quite common to find a "1 click = 1 conversion" situation is not the only method of sales; it's quite likely that your converting customers are clicking on your Ads, and/or organic/direct links more than once before converting.

As a general rule I wouldn't dissuade anyone who wanted to come to my site more than once.  It's an indication of interest and you can think of it as though you've allowed someone into your High Street store once, then slammed the door in their face when they've tried to come back.

I can think of several reasons why someone might want/need to click your Ad more than once to download your product.  The quickest one that springs to mind is that I have more than one device to install it to or more than one location.  Although it may seem obvious that once you've clicked an Ad once, you shouldn't need to click it again, in the real world most people don't act that way.  Here's a snap of the multi-channel report from one of my clients:

multi-funnel.jpg

This is sorted by income and you can see that while a "single click" conversion is top of the pile, you have to go to #5 (a single organic search click) to find the only other single click in the top 10.  And look at #10!!

It can be very dangerous to constrain advertising just for this reason alone.  My TC colleague Tommy Sands (PPCBossman) pointed out some time ago the problem of advertising intermittently is that there's a chance you'll miss all these second, third and even fourth clicks.  Look at this list above again - all but two of the top conversion paths involve more than one action.

If you deliberately block people coming back to your site after a second or third click you could be seriously restricting your conversions.

Jon

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 5
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Cobnut, you are right, probability I could lose some conversions, find attach my path conversion:

https://www.evernote.com/shard/s84/sh/2c7bcd8e-c9e8-4429-8bac-2dd86aaba174/f5e4a3ef04305256ce017aba4...

I'll keep without restrictions.