AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
1.4K members online now
1.4K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

Less impressions and never clicks in managed placement

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi guys

I have managed adwords campaign for our client and it is consisted of search and GDN, especially placement targeting.

Search ad is ok even though it's not as much as we are satisfied, but GDN has been totally a mess.

Here is our GDN info. and result.

- Launching Date: 2 weeks ago

- Placement: Major online news(CNN, NYTIMES....)

- Ad type: 8 different size general banner(flash)

- Max CPC: $3 -> $5 -> $10

- Impression: about 30,000

- clicks: zero! for 2 weeks

As above, impression is too low and clicks doesn't make sense.

Problem is likely quality score.

Suspicious things

- QS of brand keywords are under 4 in Search Ad.

I don't know where I have to start at.

Can you suggest what I have to do?

2 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author ArtinoidMan
September 2015

Re: Less impressions and never clicks in managed placement

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hi ArtinoidMan,

Two quick thoughts came to mind after you mentioned the placement example.

(bbc.co.uk::Rest News Health Content,Bottom center)

Websites like BBC don't allow image ads across their websites. Most of the pages will allow only Text ads. So please make sure your placement selections actually allows image ads (as you are using flash ads).

That placement itself is - Bottom Center - Not sure how much 'exclude below the fold' option is going to help.

Just a thought.

Info.

View solution in original post

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi ArtinoidMan,

The placements you have mentioned here is high quality news websites where normally the competition for ad places is very high.

That can be the reason behind less number of impressions even with bids of $10.

I presume you are targeting the entire website without keywords in the placement ad groups and not specific categories (like - cnn.com/TECH/).

But the biggest concern here is the number of clicks

In the last two weeks your ads had 30000 impressions (2000/Day).

And your ad wasn't clicked even once and you have ads in 8 different sizes..

Make sure your ads are appealing to the target audience and the ad ends with a slide which conveys proper product/service information and call to action (as you are using a flash ad).

As you have no click data, there is noway to find the best placements for you yet. Try to increase the placement bids to get more impressions and clicks. Make sure you have a feasible daily budget allocated for the placement campaign (increasing the placement bid will some time result in increased click activity, anticipate this and put your daily budget very carefully).

Hope this helps,

Info

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi info

Thanks for your thought.

First of all, we are targeting specific categories as you mentioned(bbc.co.uk::Rest News Health Content,Bottom center) and planning Contextual and Interest targeting to find out more relevant website.

But, I can't still understand why clicks is zero.
I have even tried to exclude 'Below the fold' to get just one click, though impression went down.
Ads are not good but ok as my thought.

Adwords is always tough.

Thanks info

ArtinoidMan

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author ArtinoidMan
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hi ArtinoidMan,

Two quick thoughts came to mind after you mentioned the placement example.

(bbc.co.uk::Rest News Health Content,Bottom center)

Websites like BBC don't allow image ads across their websites. Most of the pages will allow only Text ads. So please make sure your placement selections actually allows image ads (as you are using flash ads).

That placement itself is - Bottom Center - Not sure how much 'exclude below the fold' option is going to help.

Just a thought.

Info.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi info.

Thanks for your information about BBC limitation.
I'll try to use text ads for it.
And it turns out that 'exclude below the fold' was not helped.

Anyway I appreciate your opinion.
I will let you know when it solved.

ArtinoidMan

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

Hi ArtinoidMan,

Info has given some good advice here. I just about always include a text ad in a DN ad group, or create a separate ad group for your text ads and set a lower bid. Text ads use only one unit while display ads will use multiple units, so the image ad bid must be high enough to cover the number of units occupied. If the display ad is 3 times the size of the text ad, you'll need to bid about 3 times higher for the display ad. Since you can not bid based on the ad, a separate ad group is often a better approach.

When you choose placement, it's probably a good idea to check the web site to see what kind of ads (image or text) run in the areas you have targetted.

The real problem you face is 30k impressions and no clicks. If performance remains the same, you will find that you need to keep increasing your bid in order to get impressoins at all. While it is never shown to you, every ad has a QS as well. No clicks after that many impressions will result in a low QS for the ad. Google calls this "ad relevance". The only report you might be able to get on that is when related to specific keywords. It is likely that users in those targeted sites do not find your ad to be relevant and are not clicking on the ads. You'll probably need to either change your targeting or change your ad(s).

Best of Luck!

Pete

petebardo -- Deadhead doing AdWords