AdWords
2.5K members online now
2.5K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

Legacy Sitelinks to Upgraded Sitelinks Migration

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello

Do you expect a forced migration of my legacy sitelinks to upgraded sitelinks in the near future?

Thanks

4 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Legacy Sitelinks to Upgraded Sitelinks Migration

Top Contributor Alumni
# 2
Top Contributor Alumni

Hi Ori A,

I'm not from Google so can't speculate on what they might do but curently your sitelinks are at campaigns level and even if it was an automatic upgrade, I would have thought they would just use your current sitelinks across them all anyway.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks Adam
I'm still interested in knowing if I should plan for a forced migration of my legacy sitelinks.

Top Contributor Alumni
# 4
Top Contributor Alumni

I don't think you need to worry too much. If they were going to make changes that are going to impact your campaigns, you'd get a bit or warning beforehand.

Maybe someone else can confirm.

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

Hey Ori A,

To follow Adam above, I would include that since Google is going to make the transition by the middle of this year from legacy to Enhanced settings for all the Adwords accounts, its better that you explore now what advantages you might have using the enhanced sitelinks. Few includes scheduling of sitelinks and ad group level sitelinks available, which are not available in legacy sitelinks.

I wrote one article on this as well. You might be interested in reading it if you feel like:

https://www.en.adwords-community.com/t5/User-Articles/Improved-Sitelinks-Extensions-with-Enhanced-Ca...

My 2 cents!

Pankaj

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

My impression is that when enhanced campaigns are rolled out globally for all users, and "legacy" is phased out (new date late in July) enhanced sitelinks will be included, So be prepared.

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor

Hi Ori A,

When I converted a campaign with sitelinks to enhanced, the sitelinks were converted to enhanced when I added them to the campaign.

Best of Luck!

Pete

petebardo -- Deadhead doing AdWords

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

There will be a forced migration and the system will pause any sitelink that doesn't fit the upgraded parameters.

The issue is the headline in the legacy sitelinks was 35 characters whilst he upgraded sitelinks is 25, so if your account is anything like ours, you'll have 90% paused.

Also, Google were kind enough to not build in any functionality for upgrades sitelinks into Editor, you can't add or edit the description lines 1 and 2.  It's actually pretty ridiculous but after Enhanced Campaigns, not all that surprising.

I'd recommend using the internal tool to upgrade all sitelinks in AdWords, head over to editor and fix them up (reduce the headlines) then go back to AdWords and fill out the description lines.

That was the most efficient way we came up with.

Google Employee
# 9
Google Employee
There is in fact a way to upgrade sitelinks in Editor:

https://support.google.com/adwords/editor/answer/65478

Sitelink description lines will be supported in the next Editor release.