AdWords
4.7K members online now
4.7K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

Large Quality Score Drop on Unpausing

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hey All,

I'm a bit stuck and i'm hoping someone out in the community can help out. I've discovered a large number of keywords in our account that were paused with high (7-10) quality scores. I was pretty excited about this as it seemed like a solid opportunity to get some good quality keywords active. I unpaused these listings and raised their bids a bit to make sure they were active. 

I come back the next day and these keywords have seen 0 impressions, but the quality scores have dropped to 3-4. They are showing average on all 3 QS metrics, and they are in pretty tightly clustered groups. The creative is custom for each group, and again, is pretty tightly related to the keywords. 

I'm out of ideas. I'm looking at competition on these same keywords, but for some reason our domain just isn't able to get there. 

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Large Quality Score Drop on Unpausing

Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
Nothing new about qs. It keeps changing. Try to increase their ctr and maintain it, hopefully they will get their qs back.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Difficult to get CTR when your FBP has shot to over $1.00, and you're receiving no impressions.

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hi Baylow,

How long had these keywords been paused? One possibility here is that search behavior has changed since the keywords were paused. The keywords may have dropped in quality across all accounts. The competition for those keywords may have increased. One other possibility: those keywords may have been paused for good reason--poor performance.

QS is not an end goal for AdWords advertising. It should be used as a signal, not an absolute factor. I would go back in history to a time when those keywords were active and review the performance. If the performance was good (and still is) your QS should start going up shortly, but you may need to pay dearly for those clicks in order to improve the QS and lower you actual CPC. If performance was bad, trust the data!

Also consider that your competitors may not be bidding on those keywords at all, but other keywords are triggering their ads, possibly in broad or phrase match.

Long story short: if the keywords don't bring you the kind of business you want, turn them back off.

While the keywords are active, use that little bubble thing and see what it says. My bet is it will say "Expected click-thru: below average, Ad relevance: average, Landing Page: average". The expected click-thru rate is the real problem.

Best of Luck!

Pete

petebardo -- Deadhead doing AdWords