AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
2K members online now
2K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

Large Fluctuatations in Display Camapign

dd
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
dd
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Everyone,

Can anyone explain a reason why my Display campaign (which I have not edited since I created it 1 month ago) would have such fluctuations day to day.

Here's an example of last week's activity:  Monday - 430 impressions, Tuesday - 6 impressions, Wednesday - 816 impressions, Thursday - 14 impressions, Friday - 500 impressions, Saturday - 86 impressions.

In my opinion, such fluctuations have to be attributed to a technical flaw in Adwords.

Can someone please confirm my deduction so I can get some sleep.

Thanks, DD

2 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author dd
September 2015

contextual targeting on GDN

Top Contributor
# 13
Top Contributor

DD;

Let's try the following test :

Try to cut the number of ad-groups you are having in your campaign, and raise the number of keywords, in each ad-group, to improve contextual targeting between keywords and web page content.

-Moshe

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

View solution in original post

dd; In your campaign settings, are you using "Show ads on...

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi dd;

In your campaign settings, are you using:  "Show ads only on pages that match all selected targeting methods" or "Show ads on pages that match the broadest targeting method" in your campaign settings" ?

are you also targeting topics or audiences?

-Moshe

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Hi DD,   Is this a common theme across the month that you...

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hi DD,

Is this a common theme across the month that you have had the account active (Week to Week) or for one single week?  I have personally experienced similar daily fluctuations, with larger numbers, but I do not see it as a technical flaw.  The GDN environment changes constantly and the users browsing on the GDN can change as well. I remained focused on the campaign goals, which for me, were not impressions.

Impressions aside, are you happy with how this campaign is performing? Are the days with more impressions getting you more conversions? Take a look at the other relevant stats for the campaigns.  How are your CTR and Conversion Rates looking?  Based on these impression numbers, I would guess that you're serving a fairly specific market. Can you expand your target audience at all?    

On another note, after having left the campaign alone for 30 days, now is the perfect time to review your account and work on some optimization.

Here are a couple of ideas to get you started:

1. Review your placement reports and do a little cleanup. If needed, non-relevant/poorly performing placements should be added to your negative placements. 

2. Review ad performance and add new creatives where it makes sense, replace or add new ads where you find poor performing ads.

3. Can you edit/alter your landing pages in any way? 

4. How are your ad groups and keyword lists?  Have you tried the Contextual Targeting Tool for more ad gorup/keyword set ideas?

It’s important to line up your goals first and work on Adwords strategies from there.  If the T/TH numbers are really bothering you, perhaps you can also alter your budget/bidding on those days to maximize your account potential.

If you can share more info about your account structure, your goals and more about the remaining performance stats, we may better be able to help.

-Tom

Tommy Sands, AdWords Top Contributor | Community Profile | Twitter | Philly Marketing Labs
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’

Display Fluctuations

dd
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
dd
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Moshe,

I can't find those options under campaign settings.

The closest thing that I see is: "Targeting Mode - Standard: Show ads based on targeting elements such as keywords and placements."

Also, when I click on the "Audience" or "Topic" tabs, there are none listed in either one.

Large Display Campaign Fluctuations

dd
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
dd
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi PPCBossman,

I appreciate your input on how to improve my campaign optimization and you raise a good question about these fluctuations being a common theme.

Let's table the optimization and I'll be more specific about these fluctuations to draw you a better picture of what's going on:

I launched the Display campaign on Feb 15, 2012 with a midrange bid of $1 per click (considering my average Search campaign bid was $2).

For the first week the impressions ranged from 33-150 per day which is exactly what I expected.

I then raised the bid to $2 for the Display network.

The next day I got 530 impressions, the following day 760, all expected.

The following day I received 1 impression, the following day 500, the next day 6, then 458, then 16, then 480, then 40.

From 3/4-10 the impressions ranged from 200-500.

On 3/11, I received 837 impressions, the following day 96, the next day 400, the next day 26, the next day 212, and yesterday 75.

Keep in mind that besides raising the bid on 2/22, I made no changes in any way shape or form to the campaign.

I don't know what "GDN" means, so I can't intelligently address that.

DD; If this is your targeting mode, and nothing listed un...

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

DD;

If this is your targeting mode, and nothing listed under audiences and topics, the idea I had in mind cannot be applied.

Follow on with Tom;

-Moshe

Hi dd,   I tried to follow your figures on a calendar and...

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor

Hi dd,

I tried to follow your figures on a calendar and it appears that its almost every other day you're experiencing high/low impressions.  Unfortunately, I can't provide you with a definitive answer as to why.  I would suggest reviewing your placement reports for individual days to see what the discrepancies look like.  Which sites are missing on the lower activity days.  On the better days, are the extra impressions good ones?  You can directly target positive performing placements through managed placements.  Also, use your search campaigns as a guide to activity for comparison.  Do you see the same ups and downs in impressions for search?  Although its a good plan to allow a campaign to establish some history, leaving a campaign the same over a period of time will not guarantee the same performance every day as there are many external factors that are changing daily.  

I'm sorry I can't give you more, keep optimization in mind...those are the tasks that will help you to mold your campaigns to match your overall goals.

Edit: GDN - Google Display Network

-Tom

Tommy Sands, AdWords Top Contributor | Community Profile | Twitter | Philly Marketing Labs
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’

GDN Fluctuations

dd
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
dd
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

The search campaign is not following the same pattern but the display campaign is relatively new, whereas the search campaign is three years old.  I wish that I could tell you whether or not the impressions are good ones, but after 30 days and more than 7000 impressions, I still am not seeing any url's in my automatic placement section.

I was told that I will never see any url's unless I get clicks, but that doesn't make sense to me so I'll keep building up impressions until something gives.

The automatic placements should be relevant to my key words so I'm not worried.

Thanks for trying to help, Tom.  I've seen at least half a dozen glitches in different areas of Adwords so I'll just add this GDN problem to the heap.

-DD

Display Network settings

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 9
Top Contributor

@DD;

I have the feeling that something is not set properly on your campaign settings;

Based on the following table - could you name what are you targeting?

On your campaign setting, you must have these two options:  (one should be picked):

• Broad reach: Show ads on pages that match my primary targeting method
  • Specific reach: Show ads only on pages that match all my targeting methods

-Moshe

GDN Fluctuations

dd
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 10
dd
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Moshe,

I found that option and I have "Broad reach" checked.

-DD