AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
4K members online now
4K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

Language targeting whilst using foreign keywords

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi there,

I have a quick question.

If I'm targeting the region say UK, and I'm targeting English language speakers, but I have a few Spanish keywords in my list, for example "manzana", will my advert (which is in the English language) get displayed to someone who has searched for a Spanish word (whom is based in the UK and uses Google.co.uk as their search engine).

I guess what I'm wondering is, will someone who uses the local Google search engine but aren't native to that country (eg are from Spain), still be classed as English, or will Google still recognise them as Spanish? 

Hope the question makes sense!

2 Expert replyverified_user
2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by MosheTLV (Top Contributor)
September 2015

Re: Language targeting whilst using foreign keywords

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Google uses the users Google preferences to determine their language.

So if you have your preferences set to Spanish then Google will serve ads to you if they are targeting spanish speakers.

There is another factor - and that is the geo targeting.

Let's suppose you have your geo target to the UK and your language setting to English.

If you use a spanish keyword, then only people in england whose preferences are set to english can trigger the ad - and they would have to type the spanish keyword into the search box. A user in england whose preferences are set to spanish cannot trigger the ad - simply because it's not targeting them - it makes no difference if the keyword matches their search term.

now suppose that you set your geo target to the UK and your language tageting to incluce english and spanish.

Now anyone in england whose preferences are set to english or spanish can trigger your ad if they search for your spanish keyword.

so anyone searching for manzana.... just a couple of quick, perhaps, obvious points....

1. google doesn't translate keywords - so if the keyword is manzana and a person searches for apple, then the ad will not trigger

2. Google doesn't translate ads - so if you include manzana in your list of keywords and target me as a spanish speaker in the UK - I'm going to see whichever ad is triggered - which is likely to be in english.... not such a problem - as I probably speak english if I'm living in the UK. But don't fall into the trap of writing some spanish ads and including them in the campaign - Google could just as easily trigger those ads for your english speakers.

As a general rule, I tend to separate languages for this very reason. I target spanish speakers with spanish keywords and spanish ads and english speakers with english keywords and english ads.

I might include some different language keywords in there... so I might include some english words in my spanish keyword lists simply because I do find that spanish speakers often use english words in their searches - they seem to feel they get better results for some search terms.

But I would always present spanish ads to spanish speakers and english ads to english speakers... and, of course, where possible I also try to send the spanish speakers to a spanish landing page!

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hi Matt, this is actually a great question!

The two key aspects are the language you've chosen as your target for the Ads and the language chosen by the Ad "viewer".  Google's primary methods of determining the user language are the domain of the Google property being searched and the user's language interface settings but there are some other situations in which Google may decide that the intent is for another language, e.g. where the search query itself is written in your targeted language or where the website (on the GDN) is written in that language.

In your specific case, if you're targeting the UK with English as your chosen targeted language, someone from Spain might see your Ads, depending upon their interface language, the Search domain they use and/or the website they're viewing.  So, if they have Spanish as their chosen interface language, if they use google.co.uk, and are in the UK when they search, they might see your Ad depending on how Google interprets their search query.  If they search on "what does manzana mean?" I might expect the results to be English targeted (because they query is obviously English) but if the query is "¿dónde puedo comprar algunas manzanas" I might expect not to see your Ad because the language preference is Spanish and the query is clearly in Spanish (at least I hope it is!).

The problem here is that it's not precise or 100% predictable so if you want your Ads to be shown to Spanish speakers in the UK, you'd do better to create another Campaign targeting Spanish, and using Spanish language Ads.

More about how Google targets languages.

Does this help or hinder?

Jon

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Google uses the users Google preferences to determine their language.

So if you have your preferences set to Spanish then Google will serve ads to you if they are targeting spanish speakers.

There is another factor - and that is the geo targeting.

Let's suppose you have your geo target to the UK and your language setting to English.

If you use a spanish keyword, then only people in england whose preferences are set to english can trigger the ad - and they would have to type the spanish keyword into the search box. A user in england whose preferences are set to spanish cannot trigger the ad - simply because it's not targeting them - it makes no difference if the keyword matches their search term.

now suppose that you set your geo target to the UK and your language tageting to incluce english and spanish.

Now anyone in england whose preferences are set to english or spanish can trigger your ad if they search for your spanish keyword.

so anyone searching for manzana.... just a couple of quick, perhaps, obvious points....

1. google doesn't translate keywords - so if the keyword is manzana and a person searches for apple, then the ad will not trigger

2. Google doesn't translate ads - so if you include manzana in your list of keywords and target me as a spanish speaker in the UK - I'm going to see whichever ad is triggered - which is likely to be in english.... not such a problem - as I probably speak english if I'm living in the UK. But don't fall into the trap of writing some spanish ads and including them in the campaign - Google could just as easily trigger those ads for your english speakers.

As a general rule, I tend to separate languages for this very reason. I target spanish speakers with spanish keywords and spanish ads and english speakers with english keywords and english ads.

I might include some different language keywords in there... so I might include some english words in my spanish keyword lists simply because I do find that spanish speakers often use english words in their searches - they seem to feel they get better results for some search terms.

But I would always present spanish ads to spanish speakers and english ads to english speakers... and, of course, where possible I also try to send the spanish speakers to a spanish landing page!
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hi Matt, this is actually a great question!

The two key aspects are the language you've chosen as your target for the Ads and the language chosen by the Ad "viewer".  Google's primary methods of determining the user language are the domain of the Google property being searched and the user's language interface settings but there are some other situations in which Google may decide that the intent is for another language, e.g. where the search query itself is written in your targeted language or where the website (on the GDN) is written in that language.

In your specific case, if you're targeting the UK with English as your chosen targeted language, someone from Spain might see your Ads, depending upon their interface language, the Search domain they use and/or the website they're viewing.  So, if they have Spanish as their chosen interface language, if they use google.co.uk, and are in the UK when they search, they might see your Ad depending on how Google interprets their search query.  If they search on "what does manzana mean?" I might expect the results to be English targeted (because they query is obviously English) but if the query is "¿dónde puedo comprar algunas manzanas" I might expect not to see your Ad because the language preference is Spanish and the query is clearly in Spanish (at least I hope it is!).

The problem here is that it's not precise or 100% predictable so if you want your Ads to be shown to Spanish speakers in the UK, you'd do better to create another Campaign targeting Spanish, and using Spanish language Ads.

More about how Google targets languages.

Does this help or hinder?

Jon

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 4
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Thanks very much for both of your replies, that's cleared things up for me a great deal.

I didn't find the AdWords link so useful, wanted to hear advice from others.

Thanks!