AdWords
3.4K members online now
3.4K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

Language settings for multilingual campaigns

Community Manager
# 1
Community Manager

Hi,

I would like to create a campaign which targets a specific country and language, my question is, should the campaign be ONLY in that language or should it include english as well?  The campaign is for a language school and most of the students probably have basic english so I'm not sure if it should be only in their language since they might be surfing in English but within their country.

Frank

This popular discussion was copied from the former Help Forum.

Top Contributor, Lakatos, replied:

Hi Frank,

I for one would select both languages, with regard to the Language Targeting feature under the Settings tab.
The argument that some of your prospects may be surfing in English holds correct. However, if you also wish to add a few English keywords make sure they reflect a very basic vocabulary.   

Best,
Lakatos
1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Language settings for multilingual campaigns

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

The nice thing about the current version of the AdWords interface (I don't know how long ago it was first launched) is that whenever you target a country it suggests what languages you should target. I make sure I follow those recommendations.

Calin Sandici, AdWords Top Contributor | Find me on: Google+ | Twitter | LinkedIn | myBlog
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I always create seperate campaigns for each language I am targeting. This does a couple things. One is that it helps me keep track of things better, when I am in say a "Spanish" targeted campaign, I know to keep everything in that campaign in Spanish. It also helps me keep my keywords, ads, and landing pages highly relevant and all in the same language. This results in higher QS, CTR and conversions.

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 4
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

I don't know how this is in other countries  but in the Netherlands  roughly 15 to 20 % of the Dutch vistors have their languages settings (still) on en/en or simular, and not nl/nl.  We therfore always include English as a language in AdWords. Checking out your Analytics and WMT can help you to decide what to do in your specific case.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I saw another post, addressing this same topic.

I like the suggestion there of having separate campaigns for each country and language combination, i.e., the Netherlands would have two campaigns, one for Dutch and one for English. Then, you would be able to cover for the situation of English or Dutch speakers in the Netherlands with their browser language set to English, and still have the benefit of having everything in the campaigns in one language (keywords, ads). Yes, it is a lot of work, but you'll be able to get that fine grain control, and you don't have to worry about overlap of keywords since any given campaign is targeting only one country (and one language to boot).

I guess you could just have your one default English campaign that you reuse as the English campaign for all countries you target, instead of creating a new English campaign for each country. But, then you wouldn't be able to fine tune/'localize' your keywords and ad text in English to the different countries. Tough call, but either way should work well enough in most cases.