AdWords
2.2K members online now
2.2K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

Language Targeting

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

My client is about to abandon display advertising altogether after a disastrous experience. I have excluded a bunch of countries, restricted languages, and set locations as tightly as I can, and her ads are still appearing on Indian and African sites, despite this. Sometimes they are appearing on Italian, Malayalam and other foreign language sites, with suspiciously high clickthrough rates, which are costing her money for nothing. She only wants them to appear in the UK, but we can't seem to ensure this. Any advice would be gratefully received. 

2 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by MosheTLV (Top Contributor)
September 2015

Re: Language Targeting

Community Manager
# 2
Community Manager

Hi Emma G,

One thing to note about how we do language targeting on the Display Network:

On the Google Display Network, AdWords may look at the language of the pages that someone is viewing or has recently viewed to determine which ads to show. This means that we may detect the language from either pages that the person had viewed in the past, or the page that she is currently viewing.

(resource here)

So if you're only targeting the UK for location targeting and targeting English for language targeting (that may be too simplistic for what you're trying to do), you ad could still potentially appear on a site written in Italian, if the UK-based user has viewed English pages in the past but just happen to also view an Italian page later on.

So to help your client out going forward, I'd recommend doing one of these two things:

(1) Set up specific managed placements (sites that you specify that you want to show on) instead of using contextual or interest-based targeting

(2) Add these sites that aren't provided value to you as exclusions

Hope this helps!

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by MosheTLV (Top Contributor)
September 2015

Community Manager
# 2
Community Manager

Hi Emma G,

One thing to note about how we do language targeting on the Display Network:

On the Google Display Network, AdWords may look at the language of the pages that someone is viewing or has recently viewed to determine which ads to show. This means that we may detect the language from either pages that the person had viewed in the past, or the page that she is currently viewing.

(resource here)

So if you're only targeting the UK for location targeting and targeting English for language targeting (that may be too simplistic for what you're trying to do), you ad could still potentially appear on a site written in Italian, if the UK-based user has viewed English pages in the past but just happen to also view an Italian page later on.

So to help your client out going forward, I'd recommend doing one of these two things:

(1) Set up specific managed placements (sites that you specify that you want to show on) instead of using contextual or interest-based targeting

(2) Add these sites that aren't provided value to you as exclusions

Hope this helps!

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks Coco. I hoped there might be some other solution. Looks like the end of display advertising for us. It is only possible to exclude 10,000 sites and I'm already at that limit with more apparent adfarms springing up every day. We get thousands of small numbers of impressions with ridiculously high clickthrough, on a device profile that doesn't match any other campaigns. Managed placements haven't worked for us in the past. Thanks for your answer.

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hi Emma, I'll admit I'm intrigued about "managed placements" not working for you in the past.

Presumably at present you're therefore targeting using topics, interests and/or keywords, etc.?  However, I also presume you're tracking conversions and Return on Investment and therefore can examine your Placements report to see which sites return the best conversion rates.  If you can do this, how can these placements fail to perform when used in a Managed campaign?  If you can't identify sites that return a profit, how are you measuring success?

Jon

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits

Community Manager
# 5
Community Manager
This 2013 thread has been closed to new replies.