AdWords
2.5K members online now
2.5K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

Language Targeting Confusion

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

If my Keywords are in english but my language setting is Spanish, so will my ads show??

3 Expert replyverified_user
2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by MosheTLV (Top Contributor)
September 2015

Re: Language Targeting Confusion

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

How does your Ad appear where?  Adwords does not translate any Ads or Keywords.

Are you actually running an Adwords Account at the moment?

Jon

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor

RichaAgarwal wrote:

My ad is running in United States with language targeting set as English. Now we have created replica of the campaign targeting Spanish language. So I wanted to ask, do I need to change the language of Keywords and Ad copies.

Hey Richa,

To follow Jon, you do need to target spanish keywords and spanish ad copies inside the campaign targeting Spanish language. Adwords won't be translating that for you. As per the best practices, you should be targeting one campaign per language, so that there is no mess up when some user looking for a Spanish ad is finding English ad, which would be less relevant.

I would also like to add that you should have multi-lingual option inside the website which you are targeting or target one language per campaign (and per website) for getting the most relevant traffic.

My 2 cents!

Pankaj

View solution in original post

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi RichaAgarwal, the language setting within Adwords refers to the language chosen by the user in their Google account or used on a website where Display Ads are shown, not to the language you use in your Keywords or Ads.  

So, if you target "Spanish" in your Adwords account, your Ads will only be shown to people that have chosen "Spanish" as their language in their Google account or on Spanish language websites.  

There's more information here about language targeting.

Language Targeting

Jon

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

how does my ad appear there??? Will my ad automatically translate in Spanish language?

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

How does your Ad appear where?  Adwords does not translate any Ads or Keywords.

Are you actually running an Adwords Account at the moment?

Jon

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

My ad is running in United States with language targeting set as English. Now we have created replica of the campaign targeting Spanish language. So I wanted to ask, do I need to change the language of Keywords and Ad copies.

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 6
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi Richa,

Google will not translate it. It will appear in English only.

- Neeti Ghildiyal
@NeetiGhildiyal | SMG Convonix | Join Us - Facebook | Twitter | LinkedIn
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor

RichaAgarwal wrote:

Hey Richa,

To follow Jon, you do need to target spanish keywords and spanish ad copies inside the campaign targeting Spanish language. Adwords won't be translating that for you. As per the best practices, you should be targeting one campaign per language, so that there is no mess up when some user looking for a Spanish ad is finding English ad, which would be less relevant.

I would also like to add that you should have multi-lingual option inside the website which you are targeting or target one language per campaign (and per website) for getting the most relevant traffic.

My 2 cents!

Pankaj

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
I agree!

Top Contributor
# 9
Top Contributor
I have a little experience here with marketing to the Spanish speakers in the US and here's what I've learned....

first - as outlined above you can select who sees your ads based on their language settings - so if they have Spanish selected as their language (in their browser preferences) they will be eligible to see your ads if you target Spanish speakers.

Since you set their language at the campaign level you should ideally have one campaign for your English speakers and another for your Spanish speakers.

Now - google doesn't translate anything... so all your ads will appear in the language you write them within the campaign. It goes without saying (I hope!) that you would write the ads in Spanish for the Spanish campaign.

And, you will need to add the keywords that your Spanish speaker would use... and here is the twist.... because they are in the US many Spanish speakers will use English words in their searches.

So I tend to leave all the English keywords and add (rather than replace) the Spanish keywords.

In this way I still get my ad presented - in Spanish - to the Spanish user, even if they search in English.

And, of course, you should take the trouble to have a Spanish version of your website - or at the very least a Spanish landing page for this traffic otherwise you are kind of saying - I want you to visit my site so I target you in Spanish, but I can't be bothered to actually develop my site for you...

I hope that makes sense - I'm starting to confuse myself!!

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 10
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
Quite informative Discussion..