AdWords
2.1K members online now
2.1K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

Landing page experience" and "ad relevance" improve immediately after bid rise

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

The new feature showing detailed information about each keyword's expected CTR, Ad relevance & Landing page experience caught me by surprise.

these three parameters jumped up immediately from "below average" to "average" after I raised the bid! It's obviously reasonable regarding the expected CTR, but how on earth can it influence the ad relevance and the landing page experience?
I've tried it repeatedly in several accounts - it always does it. If this is a "bug" - it should be fixed quickly. It may give wrong ideas about how these parameters are determined.
I attach "before bid rise" and "after bid rise" screenshots. They were taken within one minute.
Arnon

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Karl (Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆)
September 2015

Re: Landing page experience" and "ad relevance" improve immediately after bid rise

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 22
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

You can change the language by going to  |account|  (dark green bar) > preferences

edit:

Language and number preferences  

And as you can see from this list, QS list it is stranger that there is an "Average" shown for the expected CTR. (but most likely all will becaused by the freshness of the campaign )

View solution in original post

Re: Landing page experience" and "ad relevance" improve immediately after bid rise

[ Edited ]
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 2
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

Paused keywords almost always have 3 averages.

It will also react like that if you add an + to a keyword. It won't improve you actual performance I am afraid.

(and it returns to its normal value within a very short time (after it is unpaused)

It only proves  the shown QS is not always exactly the same as the one that is used for calculations

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 3
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Thanks Marketshare,

It has nothing to do with paused keywords. I happens whenever the bid is raised for an active keyword.

[ Edited ]
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 4
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

The remark about the paused keywords was just an observation, perhaps I better should had added it as a P.S. Smiley Happy

I posted some more observations about QS  Here

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

HI Arnon,

Google has a funny way of looking at things and describing things. One of those things is ad relevance. You would think that meant "the ad is relevant to the keyword". It really doesn't. For the most part, Google let's the users judge relevancy. It does that by showing your ad and measuring how many people click on it. If a user clicks on your ad, that's one vote for relevancy. If the user does not click on your ad, that's a negative vote.

Landing page experience is pretty vaguely defined as well.

The keyword's expected CTR is based on data from your account if you have over 1000 impressions, and overall CTR historical performance of the keyword across all accounts. But it all adds up to the same thing--Google's calculation of how likely the ad is to get a click and how much revenue Google stands to realize for showing your ad.

I can understand ad relevance improving. Increasing the bid improves your position on the page. Google has plenty of data to estimate CTR based on position. Higher position on page means more clicks, and that means "relevance" to Google.

Trying to apply that logic to improvement of the landing page experience is more difficult. There are plenty of theories as to how this is measured, but no details of this measurement have been released by Google. But, to be certain, it has little to do with the appearance of your keywords on the landing page.

I think they are providing three pieces of information for us: How likely it is the keyword will generate a click, how likely the ad is to generate a click, and how likely the landing page is to generate a click (?),. Problems with the landing page, like page load time, can negatively affect the landing page evaluation. If no negative factors on the landing page have been discovered, it is likely the experience rating would follow the ad relevance.

As I mentioned, I haven't seen a thing about how the landing page experience is measured. My comments on that part of this post are largely conjecture.

Best of Luck!

Pete

petebardo -- Deadhead doing AdWords

[ Edited ]
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 6
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

I can understand ad relevance improving. Increasing the bid improves your position on the page. Google has plenty of data to estimate CTR based on position. Higher position on page means more clicks, and that means "relevance" to Google.

I think you now take 1 step to much: a higher CTR at a higher Position should not influence the Ad Relevance Score by definition,  it gets more clicks because it is shown higher, not because it is more relevant, and I am quite sure the algoritme will take that in consideration.

I am also quite convinced the metrics shown ( average, above and below) are just a hint and not the values used by Google

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 7
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

Marketsharer,

IMHO, increasing your bid should have absolutely nothing to do with "Landing Page Experience".

The fact that increasing your bid changed the Landing Page Experience from Below Average to Average, seems abit odd to say the least.

We're always being advised to "improve" the landing page and now it "appears" that all you have to do is increase the bid??

Something is amiss.

Does anyone else have a rational explanation???

RPquest

Badged Google Partner
# 8
Badged Google Partner

It seems to me like the most rational reason, may also be considered the most irrational reason, or perhaps not a reason at all. Smiley Happy But,

I have noticed lately, more so than ever before, editing the match type of the KW can result in an immediate jump in QS. I have dwelled on it further, as to which of the new ranking factors improved most, or if all did equally - Because, within a few minutes/hours the Q scores are back down to about their historical average.

Could it be possible, that the tool in the interface, is more of an instant "guess", when a change is made to that KW, than it is a longer term average, because now new data is being added into the equation. The system hasn't had any time to calculate the new reality, in these circumstances.

None of that may have anything to do with the ad relevancy, or landing page factors, but if the diagnostic tool resets, there could be a different immediate default value that is temporarily applied.

Anyway, there's a theory. Smiley Happy

This is why I feel the way I do about QS. At the end of the day it is what it is right now, it's always changing, and ultimately it's beyond our control. Did the Q score actually change? For how long? WHat effect did it have on the overall profitablilty of that term? Given all those factors, what do you do, or not do, given the current situation. Smiley Happy

Tom

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 9
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

What worries me here is the "psychological" influence on the average user. He may say to himself: "So it's all about money then. Google may have tons of complicated explanations about how to improve the landing page experience, but actually, some extra cents will do the trick."

I would want that to happen

Arnon

[ Edited ]
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 10
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

Could it be possible, that the tool in the interface, is more of an instant "guess", when a change is made to that KW, than it is a longer term average, because now new data is being added into the equation. The system hasn't had any time to calculate the new reality, in these circumstances.

None of that may have anything to do with the ad relevancy, or landing page factors, but if the diagnostic tool resets, there could be a different immediate default value that is temporarily applied.

That is exactly what I think !  And I also agree it sends out a wrong message. I looked at a lot of my accounts to see how the QS compared to the ratings for  Expected CTR, Ad relevance and Landingpage Experience. And there is a correlation (of course!), but the outcome still remains quite vague.

As Google often stated,  QS is also based on historic figures and it seems this is applicable to all elements, futhermore the elements are also influencing each other and other not shown elements, and therefore there is much more going on then whats shown to us in the 3 elements with only 3 levels. Also see this list   (edit-corrected the link)