AdWords
6.2K members online now
6.2K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

Labels - Useless if they dissapear when you edit an advert!!

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi,

I'm trying to work with labels but the fact that they dissapear every time you change an advert makes them practically useless!!

I've made lots of adverts in differnt ad groups and because they all have the same price for one product I've given the adverts the same label (e.g. Pens $1.99). Now the price changes. I want to see all the adverts with that label and quickly update the price.

So, what is logical? - I go to labels and find the "Pens $1.99" label and start to edit the adverts. But. Boom! As soon as I edit an advert it dissapears back into the ad group from whence it came! So, the only way to edit is to go to the ad group, turn off the filter for the label, edit the advert and then re-apply the label!!!

So basically, five times as much work!!

The solution is easy. Make the only way to remove labels be to actually take them off manually. Don't automatically remove labels! Either that or when you are filtering by labels don't have the automatic refresh so the adverts automatically dissapear.

This 'seems' like a big mistake from Google in making their function basically close to useless at least for my needs - unless someone has a solution or work around like disabling the auto-refresh feature? Don't know if that is possible.

Thanks very much.

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Theresa_Zook (Top Contributor Alumni)
September 2015

Re: Labels - Useless if they dissapear when you edit an advert!!

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi ttg-francis and welcome,

This 'seems' like a big mistake from Google in making their function basically close to useless at least for my needs - unless someone has a solution or work around like disabling the auto-refresh feature? Don't know if that is possible.

It's not an auto-refresh feature with the labels here. Important point which are missing here is that any time you edit an ad, it's similar to creating all new fresh ad. So in your case what actually is happening is that whenever you are editing your ad containing the label, it gets deleted (only the ad, not label).

Do onething, go to ads tab and underneath select all ads instead of all but deleted. You will see your labels as well as old ads with old prices.

Labels are not going anywhere. It's just that they are hiding because of the way you are working around your ads (i.e. editing them). I won't advice you to edit your ad but to pause the current ads and create the new ones with new price tag. Then later when you have good stats, compare the ads with old price and new price using your labels. That shouldn't be a big deal. Read more about labels in this article.

Hope that helps!

Pankaj

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Theresa_Zook (Top Contributor Alumni)
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi ttg-francis and welcome,

This 'seems' like a big mistake from Google in making their function basically close to useless at least for my needs - unless someone has a solution or work around like disabling the auto-refresh feature? Don't know if that is possible.

It's not an auto-refresh feature with the labels here. Important point which are missing here is that any time you edit an ad, it's similar to creating all new fresh ad. So in your case what actually is happening is that whenever you are editing your ad containing the label, it gets deleted (only the ad, not label).

Do onething, go to ads tab and underneath select all ads instead of all but deleted. You will see your labels as well as old ads with old prices.

Labels are not going anywhere. It's just that they are hiding because of the way you are working around your ads (i.e. editing them). I won't advice you to edit your ad but to pause the current ads and create the new ones with new price tag. Then later when you have good stats, compare the ads with old price and new price using your labels. That shouldn't be a big deal. Read more about labels in this article.

Hope that helps!

Pankaj

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi, thanks for the reply and thanks for the welcome! Smiley Happy

I still hold that this is a big mistake by Google. Labels don't tell me about how an advert performed so why delete them when I change an advert?! Labels are designed to help management. If I have to go back into the ad group every time I want to change an advert and keep the label it takes a lot more time.

All I want to do is edit an advert and keep the label. I can always delete the label if I like - why force deletion? Or at least make it an option (delete labels when an advert is edited - yes/no).

Thanks anyway.

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hello again,

Adwords is always open to feedback on new features or existing tools, features. You can fill up this form to send your feedback to the Adwords Team.

Pankaj

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi,

Thanks very much. I have done that. Fingers crossed! Smiley Happy

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I agree - I thought I could edit my keywords (in spreadsheet mode), but the labels are gone. The workaround doesn't make any sense. Now that the labels are gone, is there a way to get them back?