AdWords
2.3K members online now
2.3K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

Keywords with Low Search Volume

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I have a campaign with a lot of very specific exact match keywords, so they don't receive a lot of volume.  Several of them are getting a message that says "Users don't search for this term very often on Google properties, so it's not eligible to trigger your ads." 

Is that just poorly worded?  Why would they not be elligible trigger just because they get a low search volume?  It isn't that they get absolutely no search volume, because they are based on keywords that we receive visits from.  I realize that they won't get a ton of traffic, but I want to make sure that when someone searches them, we come up first.

2 Expert replyverified_user
2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Maembe
September 2015

Re: Keywords with Low Search Volume

Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆
# 4
Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆

Well ... depends.

Just look at the keyword and tell if it is mispelled. If not ... then you have your answer.

Lets say, you bid on "Koka Cola" as exact because this is a new sort of cola you are manufacturing. 

Most likely google wil give the exact same notice on this keyword as you stated in your post.

Nevertheless it makes perfect sense to bid for "Koka Cola" as it is a perfect keyword. Google just tries to assist you with this warning.

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

Hi Maembe,

The message means exactly what it says. When a keyword has fewer searches than a certain threshold, Google will not show your ad. They consider this a privacy issue. If only one person searches for your keyword and subsequently clicks on your ad, you have a better chance of identifying that person personally. So Google simply does not show your ad in an effort to "rpotect the privacy of the user."

Best of Luck!

Pete

petebardo -- Deadhead doing AdWords

View solution in original post

Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆
# 2
Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆

You can see this rather as an advice than as a problem.

Google just wants to notify, that you put in a keyword that has very low traffic so you give it a second look. You may have made this on purpose, but often this case is related to a typo.

I do have many keywords, mostly brands, that have this notification. 

I can assure you, that they do not corrupt you accounts overall stats or history and that it is in no way a problem.

My advice: Leave it as it is

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks for the quick reply.

I clicked on the question mark near the keyword and it says:

"Why this happens: The keyword could be too specific, obscure, or misspelled significantly. For this reason, we make the keyword inactive." 

Is that not actually the case then?

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆
# 4
Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆

Well ... depends.

Just look at the keyword and tell if it is mispelled. If not ... then you have your answer.

Lets say, you bid on "Koka Cola" as exact because this is a new sort of cola you are manufacturing. 

Most likely google wil give the exact same notice on this keyword as you stated in your post.

Nevertheless it makes perfect sense to bid for "Koka Cola" as it is a perfect keyword. Google just tries to assist you with this warning.

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

Hi Maembe,

The message means exactly what it says. When a keyword has fewer searches than a certain threshold, Google will not show your ad. They consider this a privacy issue. If only one person searches for your keyword and subsequently clicks on your ad, you have a better chance of identifying that person personally. So Google simply does not show your ad in an effort to "rpotect the privacy of the user."

Best of Luck!

Pete

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 6
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi Everyone,

That means leaving the keywords "as it is" is not an option?

I'm a bit confused, pls clarify.

Ankit

Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor

Hi Ankit,

It means you won't get any impressions from those keywords. You can leave the keywords "as it is". They will have no effect on your campaigns or quality scores.

Best of Luck!

Pete

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 8
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi Pete,

Thanks for the clarification.

I guess the only advantage of leaving them "as it is" is that, if search volumes for those keywords increases beyond Google's threshold at a later date then you may start getting impressions for those keywords also at a lower CPC because not many people will be bidding for them.

Ankit

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Google states "Keeping Low Search Volume keywords out of the ad auction helps AdWords to serve ads more efficiently and reduces the volume of keywords in our system." No mention of privacy issues that I can see.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 10
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
I feel your pain. I have created an ad for specific keywords, a landing page for these keywords, and I only need a few clicks to make this worthwhile, yet Google is deciding that because only a few people search for it they'll make the keyword inactive !? This does not make sense to me; it means that a highly relevant ad is not being shown and less relevant ads are.
Google states that the purpose of "Low Search Volume" status labeling of keywords is to keep these keywords out of the ad auction which helps AdWords to serve ads more efficiently and reduces the volume of keywords in our system.
See https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2616014