AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
4.8K members online now
4.8K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

Keywords with Brand Name + SKU... But AdPreview shows that my Brand Keywords are triggered NOT SKU?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi!  Some help please...

The circumstances of my dilemma ...  I set up 2 Ad Groups: 1 for Brand Name (For Example: Emerson Fans, Emerson Ceiling Fans, etc.) and 1 for Brand Name + SKU (For Example: Emerson CF652BQ, Emerson Fan CF652BQ, etc).  (The Brand Name + SKU I assume would be more effective as it's A) more specific and targeted and B) the landing page goes directly to the specific Product Page....)

Now, here's the issue:  When I test the Brand Name + SKU Keywords in the AdPreview tool, 9 out of 10 times, the keywords  triggered (and ads displayed) are from the Brand Name Ad Group and NOT from the Brand Name + SKU Ad Group.  :-(  So, in other words, when I run a search for Emerson Fan CF652BQ, the Keyword/Ad for Emerson Fans is triggered NOT the Keyword/Ad for Emerson Fan CF652BQ

I've tried to add a Broad Modifier to the SKU part of the Keyword - but to no avail...  

How can I make sure my SKU ads are triggered when a user searches for a SKU as part of their Keyword(s) and NOT be overridden by the Brand Name Keywords/Ads???

Thank you so much for your time and advice!

Ari

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Keywords with Brand Name + SKU... But AdPreview shows that my Brand Keywords are triggered NOT

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi Ari and welcome to the forum, an interesting question.

The problem you're experiencing here is, I think, because you're using broad Keyword match types rather than phrase or exact.  In this case you'll have lots of Keywords that can all potentially trigger an Ad and Adwords is trying to be helpful and make the one that triggers the "best" in a variety of metrics.  I won't try to explain exactly how as it's very well covered here:

How similar keywords match to search terms

There is a solution to this issue but I'd ask you to think about the best way to approach it.  The solution to make what you're doing "work" is to use negative Keywords in the "opposite" Groups, if you see what I mean.  So if you have a Keyword in a group that's Emerson Fans then that Group should contain negative keywords for Emerson CF652BQ.  However, you need to be very careful with your match types here as you could easily block a proper positive.  

Consider another approach.  Do you need the Brand when you're targeting the SKU?  I've just done a search for "CF652BQ" and the only results I saw until most of the way down the fifth page were for Emerson fans (rather ironically the first "non-Emerson result" was for truffles and immediately below this was this thread!).  So, I'd argue you don't need "Emerson" in the SKU Group, the SKU itself is enough.  This, at a stroke should solve your problem without complex negatives.

It'll be a good idea to have negatives in the SKU group for any other product that uses this keyword but there may be none. You might also consider putting the SKUs as negatives in the Brand Group, just to make sure.

Monitor it over time and get back to us.

Jon

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits

Re: Keywords with Brand Name + SKU... But AdPreview shows that my Brand Keywords are triggered NOT

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Jon - Thanks so much for your time and all the info!

A few things:

- I previously tried using phrase or exact keyword types for the SKU's but they did not rectify the problem...  Additionally, I have to leave the SKU keywords as broad as users may have the entire item description + SKU as their search term...

- While a SKU w/ more than 4 or 5 digits and combine both numbers and letters can be used alone as an effective keyword - like the example I used CF652BQ - many of the SKU's I need to promote or just 2 or 3 numbers.  So I am still forced to use the brand name along with the SKU...

I really like your idea to add the SKU's as a negative keyword in the opposing ad groups...   I'm going to try that out now and see how that works...

I will play around over the next week or so and let you know...

Thanks again for all your help!

Ari

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hi Ari, I think you're going to have to do some hard planning Smiley Happy

The SKUs that are good on their own could go into one Group.  I'd use DKI to make sure the actual SKU entered appears in the Ad.  I'm not sure how you'll get on with a Keyword relevancy within the Group itself since Google may not think they're related, but check the Quality Scores and if they're low, try making individual Groups for each SKU - you could put all these in one Campaign "SKU Campaign" for example.  

Those that are too short, as you say, will need the brand as well but I'd think they should work OK as phrases.  I probably wouldn't use exacts unless you see a lot of exact matches in the data.

Have a play around and see what you can find.  Don't be afraid to end up with a lot of Groups - when you're dealing with a product-driven Account that's the way it goes sometimes.

Jon

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Jon - Thanks again for all the help!

I feel like I'm shooting myself in the foot here :-( ...

Update:  I created 2 ad groups:  1) Brand Name and 2) Brand Name + SKU

I added all the SKU's as Negative Keywords to the Brand Name ad group as you recommended.

This works great for the SKU keywords that are recognized by Google as worthy of have an "Eligable" status.  BUT for those with "Low Search Volume" status, none of my ads are showing up now because even though the brand name is being searched for along with the SKU, my brand name ad group is being blocked by the SKU negative keyword.  Urgh! :-(

I tried adding a brand name keyword to the ad group SKU in order to display ads when this happens but that also won't display b/c Google has marked it w/ a low quality score for some reason...

So now I'm worse off then when I started...  

I'm still playing around though (in between pulling out my hair...)  Any other ideas???

(BTW - I do use DKI...)

Thanks!!

Ari

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

Sorry Ari, I don't really understand what you're saying here.

Are you saying that when someone searches on "brand SKU", this Keyword isn't triggering in that Group?  How do you know this?

I did say it would take some work. Smiley Happy  If you've got Keywords showing "Low Search Volume" then you can probably trust that.  Focus on the SKUs that have a reasonable impression rate and split them off into their own Group(s).  You could have one Group for broad matches and another for exacts.

As far as the Brand goes you may be able to get away with a single Keyword, and add in the SKUs in the other group as negatives.  There should be no issue with "Low Search Volume" - this isn't relevant for negatives.

I'm not entirely sure you need a "brand + SKU" group.  People searching using the SKU should trigger on one of the two SKU groups.  People searching on the brand will trigger on the brand group.  People searching on both should trigger on the SKU group because the brand is blocked with a negative.

If you've got SKUs that are "Low Search Volume" I'd be inclined to leave them out of the Campaign.  It's not always a good idea to try and advertise every single product you sell because the poorly performing ones can drag down the rest of the Account.

Jon

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

@Cobnut wrote:

Are you saying that when someone searches on "brand SKU", this Keyword isn't triggering in that Group?  How do you know this? 

---
For example:  When I run a search in Google Preview for Dale Tiffany 101116 (a keyword marked "Low Search Volume")  I get the following report:

Showing ads right now?

No

Your ad is not showing for the keyword "dale tiffany" ( 201_Dale Tiffany NEW >General )
  • A negative keyword (101116) is preventing your ad from showing.What can I do?

Your ad is not showing for the keyword +Dale +Tiffany ( 201_Dale Tiffany NEW >General )

Your ad is not showing for the keyword "dale tiffany" ( 201_Dale Tiffany NEW >General )

Your ad is not showing for the keyword "dale tiffany" ( 201_Dale Tiffany NEW >Style )

Thanks Jon!

-Ari

[ Edited ]
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 8
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Ari The best way that I have found to deal with what you are dealing with right now is called a mirrored campaign.

Basically you have two campaigns:

Phase 1:

1) Exact Match Only (close variants turned off)

[Dale Tiffany 101116]

2) Phrase and Broad Match

+Dale +Tiffany +101116

Negative keywords for campaign 2: [Dale Tiffany 101116]

Phase 2:

Campaign 2 might match these queries:

"Dale Tiffany 101116 for Sale"

"Dale Tiffany Lamp 101116"

Copy those two search term matches to campaign 1 and make them negative keywords in campaign 2. So the result would be this:

1) Exact Match Only (close variants turned off)

[Dale Tiffany 101116]

[Dale Tiffany 101116 for Sale]

[Dale Tiffany Lamp 101116]

2) Phrase and Broad Match

+Dale +Tiffany +101116

Negative keywords for campaign 2

[Dale Tiffany 101116]

[Dale Tiffany 101116 for Sale]

[Dale Tiffany Lamp 101116]

So over time you will build up the exact match keywords which will allow you too get the customer to the right product more often then not. You can run a really low bid on the campaign 2 ad groups because you are basically using it for mining purposes. I have been using this a long time and it works really well. Hope that helps Smiley Happy ComputerBob

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thank you ComputerBob!

I will try this...

Quick Question: Just to clarify, how would this prevent my general ad group (Dale Tiffany, Dale Tiffany Lamps, Dale Tiffany Lighting, etc.) from triggering ads for Dale Tiffany 101116 ??

Thanks!

Ari

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 10
Top Contributor

In fairness Bob, that's the approach we've been suggesting since the start of this thread.  Using exact negative matches in broader Campaigns to force a match with the exact term.

@Ari, in theory it should block the trigger against a broad term because that exact match is a negative in the broad group.  In plain English what you're saying is that Adwords can trigger in that broad group against Dale Tiffany, but it's not allowed to trigger against Dale Tiffany 101116 because that is explicity blocked.

Jon